GF out of .357s and I need to start reloading, but some questions before I start....

UltimaSE

I'm a bit confused, I asked this in another post but it didn't get completely answered and I want to make sure I have everything down before I start making some rounds.

The two rounds that I'm loading for are .45 acp and .357.

I purchased some 231 and bluedot for these two. Now my main question comes about when I look at the reloading manuals. I purchased some generic 158 grain round nose bullets for these reloads. When I look at the reloading manuals I see that the loads are very specific: hornady bullets xtp/fp 158 grain has several applications for bluedot. However I'm not sure how I'm supposed to apply the generic round nose bullets I have to this. Am I just supposed to start at their min and work my way up, disregarding the type of bullet that they used in the loads? This for some reason doesn't sound right. Or should I look for loads that are fmj loads? I have this parallel problem with the .45 acp loads. I have generic round nose 200 grain bullets but how am I supposed to read the reloading manuals as they don't have the exact load listed.

Also the other question I have is when I was purchasing primers the person there told me that I could use mag primers with the .357 loads interchangeable with the standard small primers. There was another post that addressed this but no one actually answered my question. Someone did mention that I should just treat the load like there was already 1 grain present. Anyone have any suggestions here?

As you've probably gathered this is the first time I'm going to try this. Yes I've read all the precautions and I intend to follow all of them. I also intend to check each round and weigh each round to make sure they aren't squibs or double charged. But I'd like to have these questions answered before I start anything. My gf wants to go to the range, and the last time I went to a gun show I only purchased reloading supplies, and as luck would have it last time we were at the range she used up all of her .357. So she's looking to me to make some nice rounds.

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

well here goes--i use standard primers for everything i load--45's 357's 40's 38's and the list goes on....As far as manuals and bullet weights and bullet designes go...a 200 grain bullet is a 200 grain bullet----i don't care what shape the nose is when it comes to load data----the only difference may be that one is lead and the other is jacketed---you'll notice that they show higher data for jacketed bullets---that is because the jacketed bullet will stand the higher vellocities and won't lead the barrel like the lead bullet will if shot too fast.....You may want to look at the generic round nose bullet you bought for the 357--i've loaded some before and if you're not careful they may load too long for your chamber....most bullets for 357 are semi wadcutter for that reason. you can seat them a little deeper if they are too long. but don't seat them deeper if you are shooting hot rod loads because pressure will go up....you may find that you will enjoy shooting light loads more than the 357 heavy stuff...that can or target will never know the difference....there is a site called M.D. Smiths reloading pages on the webb...he shows a bunch of loads for about everthing you can imagine....Shoot the light loads till you get used to reloading and it will be hard to get into trouble with the powders you mentioned. There are a few powders that you don't want to cut the loads on. one is winchester 296 which is good for hot rod 357......if you wish to discuss by phone sometime email me and i'll blow some of my free long distance on my cell phone with you.......Good loading....Dick

UltimaSE

The .357 is actually for my gf, she loves the kick of .357 loads. And she's been pushing me to make some hotter loads. I was going to load about 10-20 of all the listed loads so that she could try them out. But I'm worried that the mag primers might change the make up of the load.

I do remember md smith's page I'll run by there and see if I can find anything.

My gf did shoot some rounds of .357 loaded hot with h110 and she wanted me to get some, but at the last show bluedot was all they had left.

Just out of curioucity what cell phone company are you with?

Thanks again,
UltimaSE

Chad Young

Good choice on powders for your two chosen calibers. A few thoughts:

Whenever I load "target" velocity loads in .357, my favorite load is 6.0g W231, a non-magnum small pistol primer, and a 158g LSWC or LRN. This runs about 1100fps in a 6" barrel. This is a very low-pressure load and is very accurate. Crimp to the cannelure well above the minimum OAL. I loaded 50 of these for a female friend and she spent all day knocking down bowling pins at 50m. I have since loaded about 450 more at this level with much success.

In .357 Magnum, I tend to use the magnum primers only with very heavy charges or with H110 and W296, both of which require massive crimping and magnum primers to ignite properly.

DISCLAIMER: This data is from personal experience. Please consult your reloading manual and reload safely. These loads and techniques may or may not be safe in your firearm.

Cell company is altell...

By the way--when it gets dark tonight go outside and thank you lucky stars that you've got a girlfriend that will go to the range with you.....Dick

Cheapo

Primer choice--Mag or Std--is determined more by powder than by cartridge.

Win lists some interesting .357 loads using 231. Use standards. 296 and H-110 require Mag primers for reliable ignition. I accidentally loaded some max loads with std primers and 296, but since it was for a specific shooting session at above 90 degrees, I shot them anyway and had no problem with the 125 or so loaded that way.

I would not try it for any "action" games where you're likely to be shooting for speed, or any any temp below 60. Heck, I only "tried" it because of a mistake anyway!

Some manuals, IIRC, list mag primers for Blue Dot while others list stds. Mags *can* increase pressure, but differences between brands can almost equal the mag/std difference within a single brand, or so I've *heard*.

If your loads are below max, you may want to experiment with mag vs. std primers on the Blue Dot (charges must be in the "overlap" zone for manuals taking the different approaches), to see if there is a difference in accuracy. Test with at least three five-round groups per load, use optics if possible, and count every shot not KNOWN to be shooter error. When accuracy testing, I note how far "out" the aim was for a particular shot (happens about once every 12 or so), and adjust group size accordingly--if the shot actually landed where I called it.

Charmedlyfe

Regarding the 'generic' load data, PLEASE check the bullet length base-to-cannelure! A longer bullet (like the XTP is longer than the Gold Dot base-to-cannelure for 158gr.) can have a higher pressure than a shorter bullet. It's like loading a bullet too deep. Of course, a round-nose should have enough mass up top to keep the B-C length short. Every bullet is different, and can cause variations in pressure. Same goes for case length. Make sure all cases are AT LEAST minimum length.