Getting too old for ugly revolvers (Traded for a S&W 42)

Rob228

When I initially purchased my 642-2 I was looking for a 42 but couldn't seem to track one down. I went with the 642 and eventually put laser grips on it but have since moved away from using them. I spotted a 42 from about 1971 on a local facebook group and offered an even trade and it was accepted. I've got the snubby I've always wanted, hitting the range with it tomorrow. My initial thoughts are how much tighter and smoother everything is on this than on the 642. Its got some holster wear, but its going to get more.

lamarw

My old Model 42 is one of my favorite carry guns. In fact, I had it in my hip pocket most of today. Mine in from between 1962-63 era.

The grips are different on yours than mine. I did find the serial number from the factory on my smooth grips and it also has the pin for locking in the grip safety in the hiding place in the grip frame. Let me know if you want me to post a picture of the pin location.

Congrats on your revolver. You will enjoy it.

Rob228

These are aftermarket grips, the gentleman I bought it from had purchased it at a gunshow without any grips, and the pin was missing, I'm contemplating tracking down an original set but these ones are fairly comfortable.

lamarw

I have added the Tyler T-Grip to mine. It sure makes it easier to squeeze off the shots. It was a three month wait for shipment from Tyler Manufacturing. :(

Rob228

I think if I do track down some original grips I'll start the hunt for a T-grip as well. I've heard quite a bit of people say the same thing about the wait time, might as well order one now then start the hunt for the grips.

KyJim

I've had several snubbies, including a polymer SW Bodyguard. I had to get rid of it because it had no soul. The one I find myself carrying the most is my Model 38 Airweight in a front pocket.

IraIII

I believe those are Eagle secret service grips, highly regarded and similar to what you would have with the original grips with a T-grip installed. Very nice revolver, slightly smaller than your 642 and no lock. Very good trade I like it.

ZVP

There's just something about Snubbies that makes them beautifull!
I think it's their praticality and the fact that I saw Sgt Joe Friday depend on his every week! Brodreck Craford also.
Seriously, their dependability, ability to shoot any old .38 Special Cartrige and big, solid BOOM! gives a sense of security to you.
Just like a double breled shotgun, you KNOW it's gonna work and work well!
JMHO,
ZVP

Grant D

Yup..like Lennie Brisco on Law and Order, I like my Model 36, and it's the snubbie that I carry the most, when I carry a snub.
I, like him, carry it in a OWB holster

Model12Win

I don't consider a model 642 to be ugly, if that's what the OP was trying to convey.

Now the Ruger LCR on the other hand... LOL! JK JK! :D

lamarw

I don't consider the Model 642 ugly either but there is just something very special about the older Model 42. :)