Getting stopped while CCing

Harry Callahan

As I said in a recent thread I just got my Pennsylvania carry permit(non resident)and I will be heading to Indiana on business in a few weeks. I plan to try out my new "privilege" there since I am a criminal if I carry here(Illinois). My question is: If I am pulled over I plan on telling the LEO that I am carrying and where it's at, but will he/she tell me to exit the car and take the weapon from me(loaded), or is it possible I will be asked to unchamber the round(semi-auto)and slowly hand over the weapon with my thumb and index finger? I don't plan on being pulled over but if I do I want the LEO to be as comfortable with me as possible.

MacGille

I have a firm rule, I never tell any govt. official anything he doesn't need to know. If you are not doing anything worse than speeding etc. then stay in the car and keep your mouth shut. Take the ticket and go about your business. You are not committing any crime and are no danger to the cop. Until you open your mouth about carrying. Then you are in a world of S---. Your future, short and long term is in his hands. Remember, the police are not there to be your friend. You are just another As-----e to him. If you are arrested and your gun taken it's no problem for him.

The Supreme court has ruled that the police are not required to protect the citizens. They are there to protect their political masters. If the politics of the area are not gun friendly, keep your gun out of sight, and your mouth shut.;)

Stagger Lee

Just know that many judges do not recognize the authority of a state that you do not live in to authorize you to carry in their state or any state other than the one that issued you the permit. The thinking is that Illinois could give you a permit but chooses not to. PA can certainly license you to carry in PA, but the legal authority of PA to grant you carry privileges in Indiana or any state outside of PA hasn't been settled yet, despite what people on the internet say. I am aware of convictions for illegal carry against people who had a non-resident Florida permit outside of Florida. Be careful.

AK103K

I have a firm rule, I never tell any govt. official anything he doesn't need to know. If you are not doing anything worse than speeding etc. then stay in the car and keep your mouth shut. Take the ticket and go about your business.
I agree. I've been stopped a number of times and never offered and they never asked. If they specifically ask, thats a different story.

You do need to know the rules of the state your in though, and deal with it accordingly.

as far as the reciprocity issue, this may help........

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

I did recently see a map showing PA's reciprocity with other states but I cant now find it again(if I do I'll post it). It did mention that there were a couple of states that did not accept our permit if you were not a resident of PA. The following is PA's stance on the issue and taken from the link above.

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

Keltyke

Check the law for the state you'll be in. Some states require you to inform the LEO if you're carrying concealed. I've been stopped twice while carrying concealed in SC, and once in NC where I had my weapon in plain sight on the dash (the law there).

In NC, Billy Bada$$ (a Char/Meck cop) confiscated my weapon for the duration of the stop. In SC (one HP, one city cop), both times, the LEO simply told me to not put my hands near it.

Once informed, the officer has several options, depending on how at ease he is talking to an armed civilian.

Personally, I'd follow the law and do as I'm told. If you're caught concealing the fact that you're armed, the scene might go downhill rapidly from there.

Dewhitewolf

Visit www.usacarry.com. This site keeps up-to-date info on CCW reciprocity between states. However, it is still YOUR responsibility to verify ahead of time from the state(s) you plan to visit, usually found on the website of the state Attorney General.

It is my understanding that Indiana will recognize any permit from any state. However, Indiana is unique in that permits issued by Indiana only say "carry," with no requirement for concealment. This does not apply if your permit (from another state) specifically says "concealed." That requirement is still binding on you.

If you get pulled over, and you choose to notify the officer that you are carrying, keep your hands visible (like on the steering wheel), and be clear that you have a carry permit. Then ask for any special instructions, and follow them to a "t." The officer won't tell you to take the gun out and unload or unchamber it. He may just ask for your permit, then give it back and move on to whatever reason he pulled you over.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I'd follow the law and do as I'm told. If you're caught concealing the fact that you're armed, the scene might go downhill rapidly from there.

+1 The reason we are allowed to carry is because we are ostensibly law abiding citizens. We should act like it. Besides, do you want to go to jail or lose your right to carry because "They don't need to know anymore than is necessary." The LEO is not there because he wants to trample your 2A rights 99% there will be no problems.

BTW- Not speeding will help your chances.;)

AK103K

The reason we are allowed to carry is because we are ostensibly law abiding citizens.
So why do we have to beg permission from our servants? (VT excepted)

...lose your right...
Dont you mean "privilege"? You gave up the right by taking the permit.

Webleymkv

Indiana does not require you to inform an LEO that you're carrying during a traffic stop. The only time I've ever been pulled over while I had my gun with me (it was under the seat and out of sight) I simply didn't mention it.

Rmart30

My state does not require informing the officer.... You would think that the states issuing the permit would print on the back of it what the rules are for their state....
I think the only thing mine has on it is a simple statement about not being able to carry in courthouses etc.

My opinion on it would be (in my state anyway) I would not inform the officer unless asked to step out of the car..... preparing ahead for that I would already have my CCW permit in hand from when I took out my drivers license and INS card. My seat belt would already be undone so I wouldnt have to reach around where he could not see and my hands would be clearly visible to the officer. I would hand him that before I even started to step out of the vehichle.

With it being a state that does not require you to inform, the standard law enforcement traffic stop greeting is license, INS card and registration.... No where in there do they ask if your carrying and under NO circumstance would I ever blurt out " Ive got a gun" without being asked.

Most officers Ive been around get real nervous when gun is mentioned even if you are a legal CCW holder......Most of them think John Q public doesnt have the sense or capability to CCW.

schmellba99

I evidently have a different viewpoint than most of you on here. I've always been taught that if you get pulled over while carrying, hand over your permit with your DL and inform the LEO where the firearm is.

That is what I did yesterday evening when I got pulled over by the Texas DPS. He was very professional, only asked where the weapon was after I informed him that there was a concealed weapon in my vehicle. Upon notifying him where it was located, he promptly handed me my permit back and we went about our business. No BS, no flak what so ever.

I would think that prior notification would prevent any potential issues should there be any reason for things to go downhill. It also notifies the LEO what his potential dangers are and the fact that the chances of you doing something stupid just dropped by 99.9%

You have a CCW permit, there is no reason to hide information that could cause problems potentially. Your permit states you can legally concealed carry, and your doing so is not illegal, so acting like it is does not compute with me.

Webleymkv

That is what I did yesterday evening when I got pulled over by the Texas DPS. He was very professional, only asked where the weapon was after I informed him that there was a concealed weapon in my vehicle. Upon notifying him where it was located, he promptly handed me my permit back and we went about our business. No BS, no flak what so ever.

You have a CCW permit, there is no reason to hide information that could cause problems potentially. Your permit states you can legally concealed carry, and your doing so is not illegal, so acting like it is does not compute with me.

The reason is that not all LEO's are as professional as the one that pulled you over. LEO's, like the rest of us, have differing views on civillian CC and some can be outright jerks about it. Obviously a bit of judgment on your part is required (if you think that the officer may discover it anyway or if it's the law, by all means tell them about it ahead of time). Last time I was pulled over was for rolling through a stop sign: the officer isn't going to ask me to get out of the car unless I do something really stupid and my firearm was in a place that would be visible so long as I was still in the car. I simply didn't see much reason to bring it up at all.

Wuchak

Check over at http://www.handgunlaw.us/

They have full info on reciprocity and they have travel guides you can download that tell what the requirements are for informing an officer if you are carrying by state. The reciprocity guide also tells if the reciprocity extends to non-resident permits. Some state, KS for example, only honor permits from residents of the issuing state. So a Utah non-resident permit wouldn't be honored. Before we had CC here in KS I had a Utah non-resident permit so I could carry when I went to Kansas City, MO which did honor the permit. I couldn't carry from my house to the state line. The following year we got CC in KS so I was able to get a KS permit :)

Their car carry guide tells you how you can carry in your car in each state if you don't have a cc permit. Many states will let you have a loaded firearm accessible in your car even if you don't have a ccw. They differ as to whether it needs to be in view or if you have to inform the police you have it when stopped.

From the Indiana FAQ's on handguns on the Indiana state page
http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or
exposed?
Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may
alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private
property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted
areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for
official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended
that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or
have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement
officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

Stagger Lee

You're 100% right. But there will always be those people who see it as just another urinating contest. Ironically, many are the same ones who post here about how they don't care if the whole world sees them open carrying, but let a police officer approach them when they are legally carrying concealed and suddenly they break out in a cold sweat even though they aren't doing anything wrong.
So they talk tough about it on the internet. "It's not his business....that cop is my servant...blah, blah, blah."

In reality, it's a simple common courtesy to let the officer know. And if you can't manage that simply due to some paranoia-inspired or anger-inspired personal defect, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun.

johnsonmd1

I think it all depends on either state, the one who issued the permit, and the one who pulled you over. For example, Virginia links your permit to your driver's license (unsure if vehicle registration is linked as well), so if you get pulled over and they run your information through their system, it will show that you have a permit. I don't believe its required in VA to show your CHP, but if I did get pulled over while carrying (hasn't happened yet, knock on wood), I would have my CHP ready along with my DL and inform the officer that I am carrying and where my sidearm is located. Since I've starting carrying, I've taken my wallet from my back pocket and set it on my armrest while driving so its easier to get to and away from my sidearm. I'm curious to what other states require (I have read on these forums that TX requires you to show your permit), and if they would be able to see the same information that say a Virginia Trooper would see. I haven't really seen this information on the concealed carry information websites.

Keltyke

You would think that the states issuing the permit would print on the back of it what the rules are for their state....

You would think a permit holder would read the law before carrying. In fact, about 3/4 of the questions on the written portion of the SC CWP test concern the legality of carrying. The actual mechanics of handling and shooting are a small part of it. The laws on where and when you can carry concealed in SC are several pages long, and I'd assume most other states are the same. You can't get all that on the back of a CWP.

As for those who think they're above the law...

The people who carry illegally and do illegal things while carrying give the whole LAW ABIDING gun world a black eye. The public in general doesn't separate the law abiding CWP holder from the guy with a piece illegally stuck in his pocket. We all get tarred with the same brush. Every time a legal CWP holder gets caught doing something illegal gives the antis more fodder for their own agenda, which is taking guns away from the "fire-eyed para wannabes".

I don't really give a flying rat's rump how macho you want to be. How much you want to push the envelope. How much you believe in your "rights". I care how your irresponsible decisions will affect me.

You go ahead and carry illegally. Sooner or later you'll get busted. Then we law abiding CWP holders won't have to worry about you. You won't have a permit, or a weapon, or possibly your freedom. All we'll have to do is convince the governing body of our state that your childish actions are NOT the norm for responsible CWP holders.

Go ahead, tweak that LEO on the side of the road. You got EVERYTHING to lose. He has nothing to lose. And BTW, he's NOT there as your friend. Neither is he there as your enemy. He's there to do a job and enforce the law. You will be treated the same way you treat him. However, for his safety, he MUST retain control of the situation. If you get out of line, he'll maintain control however he deems necessary. I'm hearing all these stories of the bad cop at traffic stops and I just ain't believing them. Are you storytellers sure you didn't do any provoking? All the times I've been stopped, I musta always got the cream of the crop in SC because I've been treated with respect and courtesy. Of course, I treated the LEO the same way. Hmmmm........

Go ahead, be stupid, act tough and be macho. The LEO will be more macho. Challenge and provoke him and you'll see just how much power he DOES have.

Now, flame me if you want. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in here, but if the holster fits...

It's more than YOU. It ain't about you AT ALL! You are part of an "organization" whose reputation bears on every member. If you're really responsible enough and mature enough to be allowed the power of death and life in your pocket, then PROVE it by acting like mature, intelligent adults.

The OP had the right idea, ask BEFORE you do - then do right.

HKuser

Indiana will recognize any license issued by a state, territory or foreign county. A Pennsylvania license to carry firerarms would certainly qualify. Indiana law does not require you to notify the officer, and I would recommend you not bring it up unless asked. There's no need to complicate an otherwise routine encounter. Indiana and Pennsylvania also do not have restrictions on carrying in bars, etc.