Getting rid of rust using Molasses

mitchell koster

I hear this theory from my uncle that if you have a rusty part on your gun you should soak it in Molasses and it will get rid of it. Has anyone else heard of this working??

THanks and safe hunting.

MK

Loader9

I've never heard of it and I can't imagine anything in it that would remove rust....but ya never know. We have what is called creosote bush down here that has oily leaves. We cut about a quarter of a pickup truck load and boil it in a 55 gallon drum cut in half. Throw any iron parts in it for about 30 minutes boil time and all rust is gone. It leaves a black finish on the steel and usually it never rusts again. I use it on traps and because it is a local naturally occurring plant and odor, the animals never think about it and will step right into a steel trap. No cover scent required.

ScottRiqui

I see a lot of references on the web about using a mixture of molasses and water as a rust remover, but the soak times seem to be measured in days. I'm not sure what advantages it offers over other methods, except that it's probably much more environmentally-friendly.

rr2241tx

Not so sure about the molasses rust remover but it might work. Blackstrap molasses is pretty rough stuff with lots of sulfur and other chemicals but I think a little oil and some 0000 steel wool would be faster.

Molasses is fairly acidic naturally, so that may be what is going on here.

That said, there are easier, quicker, and cheaper ways to remove rust.

mapsjanhere

Molasses contains sugar, which can reduce the rust back to iron. The problem is that doing so it generates acids, so the timing is critical. Too short, nothing happens, too long, and the acids eat away your new formed iron.

UniversalFrost

vinegar removes rust (and bluing).

i stripped an entire barreled receiver of the rust and bluing by just putting it in a tub and using white vinegar (wally world has it real cheap). just be careful it will eat at the metal too if you leave it too long (usually only 30 minutes is needed). then rinse off and oil the part.

or for minor surface rust I use OOOO steel wool and a good gun oil and rub the affected area. then wipe clean and apply a thing protective coat of gun oil.

if you need to reblue the affected area after rust removal I highly recommend Brownells Oxpho-blue in the creme/paste. very good stuff and actually best cold blue i have used.

hooligan1

quote: that said there are easier, quicker cheaper ways to remove rust.

But this way you can dip a buttermilk biscut while you wait:p

Molasses

quote: that said there are easier, quicker cheaper ways to remove rust.

I'll say. :D

Offered enough money, I'd have a go at cleaning rust off someone's firearm(s). Considering how many projects I've got going that haven't seen progress in years, it might take awhile and/or additional money to motivate me to show some speed.

Be forewarned that if it's a neat enough toy, I might never get around to finishing the job enough to send it back. So, in this instance, maybe Molasses isn't the best pick for the job. :p

Jo6pak

I once knew to an old-timer that made knives out of old cleavers, rail spikes, saw blades, and such. He mentioned using molasses to "clean up old steel bits." I asumed he meant polishing, but maybe he was talking about removing rust from old pieces that he worked with.
That was 20 years ago tho, not sure if I can get in touch with him anytime soon.

Jimmy10mm

Regarding the fore mentioned 0000 wool, a gun shop owner told me that Break Free and 0000 wool will, if used very gently over many sessions, remove rust from a blued firearm without removing the blue. Has to be very gentle though and many applications. Not for the impatient. I messed with it some and it seemed to work but I called it good long before it really was. :p

M3 Pilot

I've used molasses to derust non-gun ferrous parts with satisfactory results. I've also had good results with electrolytic rust removal. Google can be your friend on these topics.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Regarding the fore mentioned 0000 wool, a gun shop owner told me that Break Free and 0000 wool will, if used very gently over many sessions, remove rust from a blued firearm without removing the blue. Has to be very gentle though and many applications.
It is counterintuitive, but it's easier to remove rust without damaging the bluing if you do NOT use oil while you are rubbing with the steel wool. I did a lot of experimenting with this some years ago and my results were conclusive.

You can use one of the degreasing/cleaning products like GunScrubber to remove all oil from the surface and the steel wool before starting.

Then be gentle and frequently dust the loosened rust particles from the steel wool and off the surface. The rust is abrasive and will damage the bluing if you scrub it around on the bluing.

If you use oil during the removal process, it will hold the rust particles on the surface and in the steel wool and will create an abrasive compound that will make damage to the bluing much more likely.

The steel wool, by itself, is unlikely to damage the bluing. In fact, polishing with steel wool is one of the steps in the bluing process.

When you're done, oil the surface to protect it.

jhenry

I'd try the molasses method except I would then be mighty tempted to lick my guns. Not something I have any desire to have anyone walk in on.

jaguarxk120

It works, dilution ratio is one part molasses to nine parts water. One thing you have to remember that bluing is also a form of rust and will be removed to. The old engine builders us the stuff when redoing the portable engines as the process will hut any paint on the engine block. Works slow, yes, but it works and won't etch the surface just takes off the rust.