Getting Old. Liking Shotguns More.

Zorro

So. When I was 25 I killed lots of critter 400 yards with . 300 Winchester Magnum.

Now I am over 50.

Shotguns work better. Am I The Only One?

edfrompa

Nope! I'm 73 old, I use a miss erg 410, a mod erg turkey 12 gauge, Remington field master 12 gauge , and a 20 gauge mossberg, and 930 mossberg tactical.
Never too old to own a shotgun. You reall can't miss!!

Mobuck

I hardly ever use a shotgun anymore(except maybe to bust a woodpecker off the corner of the house). The quail and pheasants are gone(maybe forever) and trap shooting is too expensive.
I carry a shotgun for turkeys but haven't shot it for years-just call for the kids. May have to start packing a shotgun for close range called coyotes but would prefer a lighter recoiling rifle.

MrBorland

Zorro said:
I killed lots of critter 400 yards with . 300 Winchester Magnum...

...Shotguns work better. Am I The Only One?

At 400 yards, shotguns work better on critters than a .300 WM? :confused:

I'd tend to believe you are the only one. ;)

FWIW, I like shotguns just fine, but I think I would've worded your question differently. As it is, I'm not even sure I understand your point.

Hunter Customs

I hardly ever use a shotgun anymore(except maybe to bust a woodpecker off the corner of the house).

Mobuck the above statement brought a big grin to my face as I had this visual of me doing that to the old farm house I live in, then there would be a hole in my house about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.:D

Needless to say the lady of the house would be forever kicking my backside.:(

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

jmr40

You get exactly the same recoil and traded a gun capable of 1000 yard shots for a shotgun where 100 yard shots are pushing the envelope. I don't get it. As I've gotten older less recoil is the goal.

Panfisher

Except for a little fun shooting at clay pigeons and the once a year dove hunt shotguns are almost useless for me, I don't hunt watefowl. I have however kept sliding down the line from bigger cases to smaller in the rifles, now my .223 and .22 Hornet are the most utilized rifles. Am working more toward pistols but seems I have a liking for expensive ones so it ain't working very well yet.