Getting Old Ain't for Sissies (Humbling Range Time Today)

Joe_Pike

Due to some job related financial setbacks over the last few years, it's been a looonnnggg time since I have been to the range (measured in years, not weeks or days). It may be a while before I get to go again, which is a shame, because today I stunk up the place.

Since the last time I have shot a handgun it seems I have become old. I can't see, I have no hand strength plus I have a little arthritis coming on (my hands were curling up by the end of the range session). My shoulders are weak, especially the one I dislocated 1 1/2 years ago, and did I mention I can't see in those dimly lit ranges.

I shot three guns that I have never fired before and my carry gun. My carry gun is a 642 and it beat my hand like a rented mule. I remember it having some stout recoil, but this time it hurt a little. Most of the shots were low and left.

The next gun was a Glock 26. It ran like a top but, again, everything was low and left. I'm sure it was my fault and not the gun. Recoil was easy to handle as expected.

Next on the agenda was an LCP, which I had heard would smack your hand pretty good. On the contrary, I thought it was a powder puff with not much recoil at all and it ran like a top also. Again, most of the shots low and left (anyone sense a pattern here).

Last was a cheap ATI 5" 1911. I now know why they sell these things cheap. Out of the 50 rounds I put through it I would say better than 1/3 were FTF. I tried the supplied ACT magazine and a Wilson Combat with the same results. Sometimes the first round would fail to feed, sometimes it was in the middle of the mag. When it did fire, I was little more accurate with it but still, say it with me, I was low and left.

I still had fun and the only thing that made it less frustrating was the fact that most of the other people on the side of the range I was using were as bad as me or worse. I used to be a pretty decent shot, but as Archie Bunker used to sing "Those were the days".

Slimjim9

Well, it is often said that shooting is a diminishing skill. Hopefully you can get out there a little more often. Might be time to rethink the carry piece too. Perhaps an LCP or G26? Or lighter load for the 642?

Bayou

Well, let's hope you're able to get back out to the range soon. I suspect that with more range time, your harsh experiences will smooth out a bit. You can better get acquainted with prevailing conditions, sort of speak.

Let's hope you get to return in a matter of weeks, at the the outset, rather than years.....

My range has been closed for about a month due to high water from a nearby river. I sure miss getting out there...

Bayou

Joe_Pike

Well, it is often said that shooting is a diminishing skill.

That is a fact.

I was shooting a 158 gr +P LHPSWC in the 642. And, I will probably start carrying the 26 or a P938 most of the time and the LCP once in a while as my clothing dictates.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Tough Times

Joe,glad your back!Try the LCP like the guys are saying,but watch where you put it.Very easy to forget! :D Best Wishes,Skeets

Boncrayon

We're all putting on the age and wisdom we long to teach our youth. Keep on listening to the "bang" and having fun at the range! Hitting low left means you're pulling instead of squeezing the trigger. Clean your glass lenses and try again. It's all about the joy at the range, and sharing it with the other enthusiasts who admire your firearms. Most important is to "remember the child within you" so you don't be come an ogre like others. I'm 67 and counting, but my child is still in me. The holes in the target never make it on your resume of life, but the fun of your child within you will light up the field!

lee n. field

Due to some job related financial setbacks over the last few years, it's been a looonnnggg time since I have been to the range (measured in years, not weeks or days). It may be a while before I get to go again, which is a shame, because today I stunk up the place.

dry fire dry fire dry fire

Since the last time I have shot a handgun it seems I have become old.

I know the feeling.

I shot three guns that I have never fired before and my carry gun. My carry gun is a 642 and it beat my hand like a rented mule.

Fortunatly there's a huge variety of grips out there for the j-frame

I remember it having some stout recoil, but this time it hurt a little. Most of the shots were low and left.

The next gun was a Glock 26. It ran like a top but, again, everything was low and left.

I'd be thinking a grip issue. Try to be mindful of where it sits in your hand, and how the gun is lined up with your forearm bones.

Next on the agenda was an LCP, which I had heard would smack your hand pretty good. On the contrary, I thought it was a powder puff with not much recoil at all and it ran like a top also.

Well, here we differ. My LCP is only comfortable with the Hogue soft rubber sleeve made for it. And it's still not much fun to shoot.

Low and left on this one might just be to the diminutive size making a good grip difficult.

Last was a cheap ATI 5" 1911. I now know why they sell these things cheap. Out of the 50 rounds I put through it I would say better than 1/3 were FTF.

Swap it for a Rock Island.

Sharkbite

Brother, low and left (right handed shooter) is almost ALWAYS poor trigger control.

That can be helped with dry practice at home. 90% dry... 10% live is a good combo

Joe_Pike

Brother, low and left (right handed shooter) is almost ALWAYS poor trigger control.

I'm sure that's right. Like I said, it's been a while. I really need to work on my hand strength, too.

P71pilot

Practice makes perfect. I recently quit smoking cigarettes and have been spending the equivalent money per week on shooting at the range and buying ammo. I have been shooting once a week trying to hone my skills with my newest pistol. I'd say since you are shooting low and left with every gun, it is either a grip or trigger issue, maybe placing too little of you finger in the trigger, or jerking it, instead of letting it almost surprised you.

Just like anything (archery, driving a manual transmission, drawing, ) if you stop for a long period of time doing something that requires a lot of muscle memory and follow through, or certain concentration, your skill will diminish. You must practice practice to build your skills.

My local range charges $9 for a half hour on the pistol range, two boxes of .40 fmj ammo is about $35, so I have been spending about $44-46 per week getting practice and experience with my new carry gun (whenever my permit gets here!) I haven't really improved much, so I may just save up and take a pistol class but I want to take one with guys that know more about guns and shooting than I do. At the local range I know just as much maybe more than all the guys who work there

g.willikers

Consider getting yourself some realistic airgun replicas.
Very useful for retaining skills in your garage or back yard.
Forget the naysayers and their negative comments about airguns.
They work very well for home practice.
Combined with dry fire and they will help keep your skills alive, if you can't get to the range much.

TailGator

I carried a 642 for several years and didn't enjoy a single practice session in all that time. It's gone now, and I enjoy the range a lot more, and as a bonus my wife and one of my daughters are much more likely to go with me, too. I'm no spring chicken, either, and I'm just not going to carry a pistol that I don't enjoy practicing with again.

JERRYS.

basic light calisthenics will keep you in moderate shape at any age. your eyesight is a need for better glasses.

the arthritis is another story altogether. dump light weight handguns that shoot stout rounds. if you want to keep your 642, load it with a lighter round.

spacecoast

Well, here we differ. My LCP is only comfortable with the Hogue soft rubber sleeve made for it. And it's still not much fun to shoot.

Same here, I was wondering about the LCP recommendations. Bigger guns are more comfortable to shoot, all else being equal.

K_Mac

My mother used to say the same about getting old. I didn't realize then how right she was! I'm glad you had a chance to shoot. Don't be discouraged. Missing that amount of time will cause even a young man to have to work to get back the required muscle memory. To add to JERRYS' comment, staying in shape as we age gets more difficult and even more necessary. A little cardio and strength training will go a long way in getting the joy back. Good luck.

Joe_Pike

Well, to be honest, I think it was more about expectations. I have heard so many horror stories about how bad the recoil was that I was expecting something much worse than it was. And, after the 642, it seemed almost pleasant.

T. O'Heir

Isn't much fun for the brave of heart either. Mind you, gold medal winning Olympic shooters are mostly in their 30's or older. Linda Thom was 40 when she won the Gold in LA, 1984. However, if you don't get any regular exercise you will lose muscle tone. Surprisingly fast too.
Archery is good for upper body tone. Uses the same set of back and shoulder muscles used for holding a handgun up. Mind you, archery also requires decent upper body tone. No bows of a draw weight that is higher than the weight you can easily lift.
"...the arthritis is another story altogether..." Yep. Only so much Ibuprofen daily. Doesn't make it go away, of course, but it hurts less. Hips, knees and a bone spur on my heel.
A lighter round won't help much either if the arthritis is bad enough. A pistol vs a revolver might though.