Getting into the world of Bolt Action

IMightBeWrong

Trying to decide on a rifle in .308 Win with a bolt action, but I'm so green I don't know where to start other than that the Remington 700 made a good impact on me. I've had a bit of experience with the Rem, some with a Nagant, and some with a Mauser K98. Love the older rifles, and love the Rem, but I don't know what to pick up. I want something with some quality and accuracy that I won't want to sell for quite some time. Any suggestions?

sholling

It would help a lot if we knew what you were going to use it for. For example a hunting rifle is light for easy carry but the barrel heats up too fast to really be a good choice for target shooting.On the other hand a varmint or tactical rifle are too heavy to be much fun to carry in the boonies.

Good quality bargain (<$500) hunting rifles include Howa and Weatherby Vanguard.
Top notch ~$500-600 hunting rifles include Tikka, Savage and many others.

On the heavy side tactical and varmint side both Tikka and Savage make very accurate rifles.

Dr. Strangelove

Get thee to the gun store and fondle some rifles! Savage and Ruger make excellent products that are a very good value. I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that has amazed me with it's accuracy, as well as a Ruger Model 77 in .308 that is a great gun, though not as accurate as the Savage. I also have a custom .270 on a Mauser action I had built 20 years ago, it is more accurate than the Ruger or the Savage, but for my needs, I wouldn't do it again. ($$$$) Any of the three mentioned are more than capable of doing what I need a rifle to do, which is hunting and casual range shooting.

It would be hard to go wrong with any of today's production guns, just go to a well-stocked store or two and spend some time with the rifles that strike your fancy. Asking an internet board to pick a rifle for you is like asking one to pick your wife, I happen to like chunky blue eyed brunettes, you may like skinny blondes, but they're all the same in the dark....:)

IMightBeWrong

Just looking for suggestions. I'm looking for a target shooter, not a hunting rifle. I'll look for other threads on the topic, but I'd still like to get some ideas for things to look at.

If it helps, I'm a huge Glock fan for the following reasons:

Price
Weight
Simplicity

A rifle with good accuracy that has strong points in these areas as well would be great.

mcraig8377

i have a savage that is a good rifle but honestly it cant compare to my remington 700. there is a reason for the cheaper price on the savages! i think theres just so many people that own them because they are cheaper is the reason you here them being hyped up!

stlcardinalfan

If you are going to get a bolt action in .30 caliber get a .30-06. The .308 was developed as a replacement cartridge for the .30-06 because it would cycle better in semi autos. I really see no reason to get a bolt gun in .308. The only short action guns I have are semi autos. Any time there is a short and a long action available for any caliber I always get the long action if it's going to be a turnbolt. Unless the long action choice is a horrible cartridge.

hardhit

The Tikka T3 Super Varmint or tactical
This is an excellent rifle, with a clean heavy barrel in MOA trim.

It comes in blued or stainless bead-blasted finish and,
Comes in tactical dress as well all black.

The only thing I don’t like, is the plastic magazine but considering what you get I can live with it for now.

Tikka T3 Super Varmint
Small 204 Ruger, 222 Rem, 223 Rem
Medium 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7 mm-08 Rem, 308 Win
Short Magnum 270 WSM, 300 WSM
Std. Long 25-06 Rem, 6.5x55 SE, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 9.3x62
Std. Magnum 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag

Attachments

• T3-Varmint-BLUED-big.jpg
    T3-Varmint-BLUED-big.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 16
  • T3-Tactical big.jpg
    T3-Tactical big.jpg