Getting crud out of MK512

Guy B. Meredith

I pulled apart what I thought was my relatively clean MK512 after a couple hundred rounds and found waxy crud in every nook and cranny. I didn't feel that Hoppe's #9 was getting it out with the tools I have so used Bore Blast. That stuff seemed to discolor my stock plastic grips and didn't necessarily dislodge the crud.

I bought some Break Free CLP and happily tried it out on my revolvers first. What a greasy mess.

So what is the best way to do the deep internals of the MK512 without total disassembly?

capbuster

Guy, I know what you are up against. I have had good luck with hoppes. Before you slop on the hoppes try to dry clean everything first using your cleaning rod,patches,Q-tips, tooth picks,and plactic cleaning picks (the ones that look like dental tools) if you have them. Then you can soak everything. Dont forget the magazine channel. Let the Ruger set for awhile and come back and wipe clean. You might run a brass brush through the barrel a few times to make sure the chamber is tidy. Oil spariingly and have fun getting dirty again. PS I use breakfree as a lubricant and not as a cleaner. this has worked for me. Also some brands of ammo seem to be a bit crudier than some . take care.

jimmy

Agreed with capbuster. Persistence and the careful application of non-marring tools are the keys to removing accumulated blowback fouling. My favs are bamboo skewers, cotton swabs, and M16 brushes. The swabs are dampened with bore cleaner followed alternately by dry ones to absorb the mess everywhere they'll reach. The brushes are as much for the lint from the swabs as for the fouling. :) Anyway, sooner or later most of the crud will succumb, though probably never all of it. Lubing adequately but sparingly may help to reduce future accumulation.

BTW, how do you like the Ruger? Years ago I had a KMK-512 with factory walnut stocks that I traded away and now wish I hadn't. I've been thinking about getting another.

Mal H

Staff
Once you get all the crud out (I generally use something to blast it out like Gun Scrubber) you might want to install a shield over trigger mechanicals to keep more crud from getting in there. I installed the one from On Target and it works well. It seems to keep about 90% of the stuff out and so you don't have to clean nearly as often.

Guy B. Meredith

Mal H.,

I think the trigger shield looks like a winner! Maybe I'll upgrade the trigger at the same time (currently stock trigger--sloppy).

jimmy,

I feel the MK512 is a great firearm; easy to use and accurate enough to give new shooters real confidence and a good feel.

However, I seldom use the Ruger any more as I am really into revolvers and autos just don't get attention. I will keep it as my token visit to "the bottom feeder Dark Side" and an example of one firearm that belongs in every shooter's collection. Also as a tool for encouraging newbies.

Plinker22

Guy
The best way to clean any of the
Ruger 22 auto's is to remove the
barrel and bolt from the grip frame.
Then using Hornady OneShot gun cleaner
spray all the crud away. Might need
a Qtip or to loosen some of it.
The Oneshot is a good product and works
well,will also work if you don't want
to take gun apart,but not as well.

Goodluck & Goodshoot'in.