Getting back into reloading, what press??? so many choices

braindead0

I've been out of reloading since the 80's, last press I used was a custom that my Dad made (and he wouldn't give it to me when I moved across the country ;-).

So I'm looking for thoughts on who's to buy. I'm not up on who's fit what dies... who makes good quality stuff..etc..

I'm considering a turret press, but the I've always used a single stage and figure you have to re-check the settings anyway... so I'm not sure it even makes sense for me.

So I'm thinking either Lee, RCBS or Dillon? Is Lyman any good? Are there other manufacturers that I should consider.

I looked around the board and found some information (sounds like RCBS has a loyal following).

tia.

Jeeper

I think the biggest question would be "What are you planning on loading" If it is all pistol then I would go with a progressive from dillon. If it is all rifle then a single stage might do ya. It also depends on how much you are going to load. I think everyone should have a single stage even if they have a progressive. I like Dillon alot and RCBS. JMO

braindead0

I'll be loading strictly pistol for the time being, .38 special .357 mag and perhaps .380 acp. I shoot maybe 100-200 rounds a month.

I kinda like the single stage simply for the extra meditation time, just something about sitting down and loading..

ryucasta

Based on the amount of ammunition you intend to shoot, I would suggest a Square B from Dillon it's a low cost progressive press specifically designed for pistol calbers. One other thing in it's favor is the lifetime warranty Dillon provides.

grunewaj

braindead0,
You first need to know if you're going to want a single stage or progressive.

For a single stage, RCBS Rockchucker is probably the most popular and has been for a long time. I think the Hornady single stage press is probably as good.
For a progressive press, I think for most of us, the choice is between Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady. I have a Hornady. It is less expensive than a Dillon or an RCBS and it is an auto progressive, meaning the shell plate is advanced automatically rather than by hand. It is a very solid press and I think it deserves a look. http://www.midwayusa.com and http://wwwlockstock.com.

Good luck,
Jim

braindead0

The more I think about it, the more I'll probably go with a single-stage. One of the things I always preferred doing when reloading is charging the shells 50 or so at a time and visually inspecting for missed/overcharged prior to seating bullets.

If I was using a progressive I'd probably be pearing into every case anyway. Not to mention with the amount of shooting I do (and that number is combined me and my wife).

Of course, OTOH.. I get back into reloading we'll have to shoot more so I can reload more.... Between this and coffee roasting, motorcycling and a myriad of other hobbies I'm not going to have any time left.

maybe that's good.

Thanks everybody.. I'll start checking out links/prices/local places..

JohnK

Since you've decided to go with the single stage you might look at the Dillon AT500. It's single stage to begin with but can be upgraded to the progressive 550 if you want to later on.

BIGR

It would be hard to beat the RCBS Rockchucker for a single stage press. It is so strong it could also be called the Rockcrusher. It is a strong and simple press that has worked well for me. It is just a matter of personal choice....Get your press and get that baby cranked up loading those rounds so you can have alot of fun shooting...:)

Swamp Yankee

Purchased a RCBS Turret press a while back and have been reloading a lot of 9MM on it. Definately a nice compromise between a single stage and progressive. I like the simplicity of the turret press. I decap, expand and prime in one operation, fill powder in 25 to 50 cases at a time, then seat and crimp in 2 operations back on the turret. Not as fast as a progressive but for your planned quantity of ammo certainly adequate.
That said the RCBS Rockchucker and J.R. presses are still mounted on my bench and in service as well. I would not want to be without a good single stage press no matter what I get for turrets or progressives in the future. That may be something to think about, if you purchase a good single stage you'll always have it for working up loads etc.
As mentioned I have the RCBS turret but several members of the club where I shoot use and swear by their Lyman T-Mag turrets and Orange Crusher single stages.
Welcome back to the fold.
Take Care

Bogie

For a single-stage press, don't discount the Redding BOSS - not quite as big as the Rockchucker, but still adequate for most stuff... And if you're not gonna be doing massive case forming stuff, an RCBS Partner will do just fine.

Personally, when I load single stage, I line a bunch of presses up, and use each one for a particular step...

I own Harrell, Lee hand, turret, O and C frame, Redding Boss and RCBS JR-3 presses...

braindead0

I have a thinking I may got with the rockchucker, I've gotta do some looking around at local places.. I may find something on sale.

Thanks folks, you've given me at least an idea of good brands/models.. I've been pricing on the net so I'll know a good deal when it comes along.

Bogie

Just took another look at the calibers you shoot..

If I were you, I'd get a Lee turret press. Strong enough to do the job, easy to use and set up for multiple calibres, and inexpensive. I've loaded thousands of rounds with mine. Use a handheld Lee autoprime for your priming.

leper65

Midway has the Redding "Boss" for 70.99 in its Feb catalog. Anyone have experience with it ? I've never heard/read anything bad about Redding....

Chemistry

If your heart is set on a single stage...

Then go for the RCBS Rockchucker. It's a heavy, cast iron frame that has virtually no flex to it at all. You get excellent leverage, and if the frame ever got damaged, then the force that did it was not from this planet.

Anyways, RCBS gives you a lifetime warranty, I believe.

Redneck2

Try Midway...

in the specials this month they had an RCBS Partner for $59.95 IIRC.

Guys get real torqued up over "this press is stonger than that one..."

You're not crushing rocks, you're putting a bullet into a brass case. In Lee's reloading book, he talks about taking an aluminum press and grinding the posts down to 1/8" and still using the press.

So, forget the mindless crap about which is stronger and get something for a good price that works.

I have a Dillon 450 that I'm going to sell before I get buried any deeper. Way, way too expensive to change calibers. I'm going to a Hornady LNL. Quick caliber changes and much cheaper. Hornady still has lifetime warranty and their customer help line is outstanding. I've used both and I think Hornady is better than Dillon IMO.

braindead0

Redneck2: I agree, I'm not going be be doing full-length resizing on .50BMG ;-).. I'll probably save the money and go with a smaller press.

As far as those kits, from what I can tell most of the reloading kits put a lot of relatively cheap components together and charge too much for them. Plus providing things I don't need (I've got a case re-sizer, a very nice vernier caliper and a set of micrometers already).

grunewaj

braindead0,
I think a Rockchucker is a good choice (though I'm partial to Hornady). I think something you should consider is using the Hornady Lock N Load bushings. They make changing dies super easy. Also, if you come around to my suggestion and later graduate to a Hornady progressive press, they can be used with it, too.

Something else I've pretty much decided for myself is to stay pretty close to Hornady dies (geesh, I'm sounding like a Hornady salesman :)). Their pistol resizing dies have titanium nitride (similar to other's carbide) inserts, but there are two things I like that other dies don't seem to have.

First, the lock ring on Hornady dies use a clamp type locking method where most dies use a set-screw method. The set screw can ding up the thread on the die a little and make it rough to adjust. The clamping lock ring prevents that.

Second, they sell a micrometer seating adjuster that fits on all their seating dies. You buy one and put it on any of your Hornady seating dies and you've got a high-dollar microadjusting seater. This wold be especially handy if you load more than one size shape of a single caliber.

There are lots of good die makers. I think these reasons give the edge to Hornady dies.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

P.S. ain't it great that TFL is back up again? :D

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Another vote for,

the R.C.B.S. Master Reloading Kit; with the Rockchucker
press. Simply indestructible; and will handle all hand-
loading chore's, including case forming.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member