Getting an idea of what I want...

Nightcrawler

Getting and idea of what I want...

I figured out why I've been under such strain in deciding what handgun I want. I've been operating under the insane assumption that I can only get one! (I know, I know, but I'm new to handguns, as I don't turn 21 until this June.)

Through some thinking, though, I've got a lineup starting to form.

-Traditional looking 1911, either Springfield Mil-Spec or one of the New Colts, preferably parkerized.

-CZ85B 9mm

-Ruger 5" bright stainless .44 Mag Vaquero

For starters. :D

croyance

I thought the angst was over which first gun you should get, not the one and only.
Good list. I second the opinion on the .22 LR. When I need to iron out some bad shooting habits, it is the gun I turn to. Fortunately, there have been many threads on which .22 LR to get lately.

Nightcrawler

An idea occurred to me. To save myself some cash but not sacrifice quality, I might get a Ruger P90 right now and a 1911 later. I've heard good things about the Rugers, and I like the control layout (both manual safety and decocker). They're also strong, having originally been designed for 10mm.

foghornl

I'm not an absolute diehard Ruger fan, but I do like their offerings. I have a KP90 .45ACP, SS matte finish uppers, alloy frame, and decent sights. (3 white-dot). $420 in my local gunshop last October, and it goes BANG! every time I mash the trigger, no matter what's in the magazine. Comes with 8-round magazines, and I have seen a few places that have 10-rounders, although I haven't bought any.
Like several other folks, I would add a .22 to the list.
Good luck , and good shooting.

Shmackey

If you can afford the Ruger, you can afford the CZ. The Ruger's solid, but the CZ outclasses it left and right. I've owned the CZ and shot the Rugers; there's no comparison.

Ceol Mhor

I've also had the chance to shoot both a Ruger P90 and several CZ-75s, and the CZs are much better. I really don't like the feel of the P90, espeacially when compared to the 1911. If you want a .45, go for the milspec 1911. If caliber isn't that big of an issue, the CZ is probably a better choice - it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to feed. And I'd wait on the .44 mag. It's cool, but not nearly as practical for general use as a 9mm or .45 autoloader.

Nightcrawler

See, I want the CZ85 in 9mm. That's the CZ I want more than any other.

But, I want a .45 too, and I'm on a bit of a budget. A Ruger P90 would cost me about $50 to $80 less than the Springfield Mil-Spec, would already have ambidextrious controls (for adding an ambi safety to the Springfield, assume I can't do it myself and total about another hundred dollars for quality part and labor), and from what I understand, be more reliable out of the box to boot (not to mention built like the proverbial tank).

I like the CZ85 for its clean lines good reputation. I expect it to be the second pistol I purchase, and my first 9mm.

With a 9mm, a .45, and eventually, a .44 Magnum, I should have the field covered pretty nicely.

Eric Larsen

Rugers are generally very solid guns...but I have to agree with past posters. If you can get a Ruger...jump on a CZ. You can find the 85's for reasonable prices if you are patient. If you want a very nice 45 s/auto gun...for the price of a mill spec 1911 you can get a CZ97....I guarantee you wont be sorry. Look on www.czforum.com and guns america...oh and shotgun news has had some killer deals on CZ's lately.
Shoot well

Nightcrawler

The CZ-97 costs more than the Ruger, and for that extra cost I may be getting a gun with better fit & finish, but I'm also getting a gun with a safety I can't use and one that's too big for CCW. (If people can carry and coneal Government Models, they can carry and conceal a P90.)

But what's the advantage of the CZ-97? Could it handle a steady diet of +P loads (230gr @ 950fps) that the Ruger could? No parts or accessories are available for it, either. And, I'd have to order it, as no dealer has one around here, and I'm hesitant to buy a gun that I've never handled, especially one as large as the CZ97B. Double stack .45s as a rule fit my hand nicely (Para P14, HK USP45), but the CZ97B seems bigger than either one of those.

dairycreek

You have made some good choices.

But, let me make some other suggestions for you to think about. When I began collecting handguns I opted to cover the classic callibers, eg. .22, 38/357, 9mm, 44, and 45. I know that you are operating on limited funds (who isn't?) but this collecting business takes some time and thought. Can't do it all at once! Those posters who have suggested a .22 are giving you really good advice. I think Ruger .22's are an excellent choice. For a 38/357 both Ruger and S & W offer excellent choices. I like your selection of the CZ. I have a couple and they are really excellent. Last suggestion for now. I have a Vaquero and they are a pleasure. However, a stainless Ruger Red Hawk in the 5.5" bbl. offers a bit more flexibility (handles the really hot stuff like Garrett ammo) and has adjustable sights. FWIW Good shooting:)

Nightcrawler

Went to the local Gander Mountain for prices:

They had a Ruger KP90 stainless, the model I'm interested, there. I like the way the gun fit my hand. I've had better, but I've had worse, too *cough* *cough* *glock* *cough* Excuse me. The trigger wasn't as bad as some have made it out to be.

The gun is built like a friggin' tank, too. I like that. Beefy and solid feeling. It's not that I don't like the 1911 (quite the opposite in fact...I love the Government Model), but a reliable Ruger that is ambi out of the box simply costs a lot less than a similarly configured 1911. I've never heard anyone accuse the Ruger of being unreliable; rumor has it it'll even digest that steel cased Wolf ammo (not that I'd put steel cased ammo in any autoloader I owned, it's not good for the extractors on anything but a Makarov or an AK, AFAIK).

I don't particularly care about beautiful looks (though the KP90 looks cool, IMHO), match grade accuracy, adjustable sights, etc. I want a pistol that'll go bang every time I pull the trigger, with the widest possible types of ammo. I want one that can stomach a diet of +P loads and not break, and I want one that's not so expensive that'll I'll have a fit if I drop it or scratch the finish.

Here are the prices for all the guns I was interested in there:

-Ruger KP90 .45: $459.99
-Springfield Full Size .45 (with ambi safety): $749.99
-Ruger Vaquero Stainles 5.5": $419.99
-Ruger GP-100 4" or 6", Stainless, .357: $439.99
-H&K USP45 .45: $769.99

And I had them do a price check on the CZ-97B: $574.99

The prices at that Gander Mountain reflect the prices you see in my area.

Nightcrawler

Comparing prices, I've noticed that prices around here seem to be higher than in other parts of the country. Hmm...not a whole lot to be done about that. I mean, assuming a dealer would order me a Ruger KP90 for, say, $399, when he has one on the shelf for $449, I'd still have to pay the $40 or so transfer fee...

Hutch

NC, I realize my opinion is at variance with your request, but IMNSHO, your first should be a Smith K-frame w/ adjustable sights. M19 or M66. It's the foundation of any truly well rounded collection. Cheap for plinking, devastating for personal defense, accurate for winning "betcha can'ts" with your shooting buddies. Never lose a dime on your "investment". Just be sure to pick a good used one.

Nightcrawler

The thing with buying used is, there isnt' a very big used market around here, and all the gunshows are far to the south.

How 'bout a GP-100? I might get that first. I want the .45 automatic too, though. Hmm.

Looks like I'll have to get both. :D

Russ

I think starting out with a .22 is good idea. I did and never regretted it. Taught me how to shoot well and the ammo is cheap. I started with a Browning Challenger III. This was the forerunner of the Buckmark and a better gun IMO. Still have it. 1,000's of rounds through it and I still love it. Now I have too many calibers.

Foxy

I bought an AO 1911 as my second pistol just recently. They do make .22 conversion kits for it, and the 1911 has had a perfect track record with 230gr FMJ so far. The 1911 only cost me $320 too, but that was a good price.

Hutch

Practical Hutch freely admits that the GP100 is a much more modern design, much easier to produce, and more durable under hard use. The Smith is a 100+ year-old design, with attendant "issues". It generally requires more hand-fitting to manufacture, is therefore more costly, etc. Even tho' the Smith is less durable, it is certainly SUFFICIENTLY durable, even tho' it's more likely to break, it's still NOT VERY LIKELY to break. It's quite probably more accurate. It's definately a bit lighter, and it most likely gifted with a better trigger in both single-action and double-action mode, but YMMV. The best Ruger trigger is superior to the average Smith IMHO.

Given moderate care and attention, your heirs and assigns will be much happier that ol' grandaddy Crawler bought a Smith rather than a Ruger.

Sorry, I can't speak to the availability of Smiths in your locale. G'luck.

jwise

Oh, to be young and starting out again.... How I would do things over.

Two of my friends bought Ruger autos for their first pistols. One a KP90, and the other a P95. Both sold them later to get "what they really wanted."

After my pistol collection has grown, shedded its skin a couple times, and is under re-evaluation, it looks like this:

1- Kimber Pro CDP (for a 1911 style .45 automatic.)
2- CZ 75D Compact (great little 9mm shooter.)
3- Taurus 617t (.357 snub nose revolver.)
4- Ruger Vaquero (5" bbl, .44 mag.)
5- HK P7K3 (.22lr plinker.) [actually, it's the wife's.]
6- Others, but they aren't germaine to this discussion.

My dad has the GP100, and I love it, but I wanted a titanium one. But since I still don't have a mid-sized (4" bbl) .357, maybe I need to look into a good, used S&W M66.

I don't really ever shoot the .22lr, and it was the last to be added to the collection (but I could borrow one if I ever wanted to shoot one.) I wouldn't presume to know what's best for Nightcrawler in this regard, so I will withold advice.

The 45 is my favorite and gets the most action. I'm planning on getting another 1911 (full size, all steel) to absorb the bulk of the range use, but until then, my Kimber gets the abuse.

Needless to say, I like your "wish list" in its original form.