Getting a scrap of brass casing out of the chamber

jimmythegeek

I have an m1 carbine that wasn't chambering rounds properly. Turns out there's a a scrap left from an apparent case rupture.

kA8KCJT.jpg

How the devil do I get that out of there?

wabashman

Probably can shove a dowel rod from the muzzle end and tap it out. Unless you can hook it with something and pull it out.

skizzums

yeah, i would try a hook, like a dentist explorer tool but thicker, could probably make something

take a thin stong peice of straight steel, bend it 90 degrees, sharpen the end to fit into a small groove and yankk it out, shouldnt be too horrible unless its been there for 20 years

hodaka

I have gotten ruptured cases out of chambers by simply using a cleaning rod and a large bore brush. Some thin lube may help.

JR_Roosa

You might be able to hook it with a .30-06 broken case extractor, but the base of the device obviously won't match up with the carbine bolt. You could then tap it out with a cleaning rod.

I think the broken case extractors are narrow enough to get into a carbine chamber.

Brownells has them.

Oh, hey, I was looking them up, and they have one for .30 carbine too. Done!

-J.

Old Stony

I've pulled many separated cases over the years with just an oversized bore brush. Try shoving a tough 45 brush or something like that in from the rear until it is tight and then backing it out. Sometimes if it goes in really tight you might have to tap it out with a rod dropped in from the muzzle end. The wires on the brush man exert a lot of force when bent one direction and then forced the other direction.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just drop a cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle, screw a .38 or .45 caliber bore brush into the end that sticks out into the receiver, pull the rod back into the barrel about 2 1/2 inches, and hit the muzzle end of the rod.

Jim

oldgunsmith

Insert a cleaning rod into the muzzle far enough to block the throat area of the chamber with the end of the rod. Using a flat nose punch pack the chamber (from the rear) as tightly as possible with toilet paper, a little at a time, till it feels hard and solid. You have to be very careful not to nick the chamber walls with the punch. If you get it packed hard enough nine times out of ten even really bad ones drive right out with a solid rod. Much safer and works better than trying to hook onto it with something and pull it out.

jimmythegeek

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I ordered a stuck brass tool and if that fails I'll try some of the other tricks. There's a pretty good chance it won't be able to get any purchase on the lip of the brass. I think it's jammed in pretty tight by my attempts to chamber another round.

I have a carbon fiber cleaning rod I'm a little leery of using as a long punch, but I am sure I can come up with something. I have a muzzle guide so I won't abuse the venerable barrel.

I promise to post an update when the tool arrives. It's the least I can do after all the help.

jimmythegeek

Ingenious tools that don't work....ugh

I got the broken case extractor Brownell's sells. It has a sort of rasp to it that *looks* like it would slide in and then stick on the way back out. No dice.

There's a fair bit of brass on the lip so it's getting in there.

I'll have to try one of the other suggestions.