Getting 3 New Guns... Opinions please

jg0001

I'm in the market for 3 new guns. I think I've slimmed down my list, but am open to suggestions/comments.

I just got my registrations in, so I can buy at any time (darned NJ requirements!).

[For the record, I already have a Sig P226 in 9mm and a 1911 style Kimber in 45ACP]

---
The first gun is going to be a 22LR caliber.
I figured on the Browning Buck Mark -- Contour Lite 7.25 URX

For whatever reason the "Lite" version manages to be almost 25% lighter than the non-lite, though I cannot get any sense as to where the weight savings is coming from in the description. Any reason I should get the 'other' one? (I don't mind the extra $30 or so the Lite costs).

I couldn't really find enough to sway me between Browning and Ruger, so I went with what I liked the looks of... I read enough reviews that could go either way, and I didn't find anything else to swing my vote on this one.

---

The next gun is going to be a 'small' gun. I do not have a CCL, as New Jersey is too difficult about it. This is mainly just to round things out and perhaps have something bedside.

After considering a variety of sub-compact models, I decided to go with the Walther PPS (in 9mm) given its slim stylings and fairly decent reviews. While I like the idea of the additional rounds an XD subcompact can carry, the double stacked mag in the XD's takes away from the minimal size I'm trying to achieve.

I spent a lot of time comparing this to a Kahr PM9 and ended up siding with the Walther PPS.... it was a very close race.

---

The last gun is the real toughie for me. I've really been wanting to get either (a) a real show piece gun (though something NEW, not an old collectible) or (b) a high caliber gun.

For this last one, I've been mulling (endlessly) over the S&W 500, S&W460XVR, and Desert Eagle 50AE. While I suspect I may find any one of these three to be outright painful to actually shoot (and expensive), I seem to be constantly drawn to having at least one high caliber monster in my gun safe (and no, the wife is not going to let me get a rifle or shotgun... yet). The feeling here is that I should almost just buy one of these to "get it over with"... Otherwise, I suspect I'll always wonder... "what if?"... and that's been a major timewaster for me both the last time around and this time. Bear in mind, everytime I want a new gun I have to go through a long process, so it's not someting I can just get later on a whim.

The one thing that may sway me away from the big bang gun is a finely crafted, beautiful LOOKING gun (I'd also want it to be a GOOD gun, but that goes without saying). This thing can't be a bank breaker... something $1200-$2200 or so, tops. While I already have a 1911, I'd certainly get another. Something in a shiny stainless steel may appeal here...

I welcome your suggestions. [I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANY OF THESE YET; don't forget, I do, however, have the SigP226 and Kimber 1911 already]

Last edited:

Ace_Breaker

I took a hard look at buying the PPS. If you go to the Walther forum you will see very mixed reviews. It made me decide to hold off a while on them. I did make a post earlier this year regarding the PPS vs. the P7 for CCW. The P7 won the majority of votes for the better handgun. I now have two of them. You don't hear many problem issues regarding the P7, they are extremely safe, and probably the most accurate 9mm I've ever fired. I've never had a failure of any kind with my P7's. Because of the design you can't even limp wrist them and they don't need an extractor on the gun to do that function. I have one finished in a cera product to prevent rust. I'd look closely at them as an option.

ghosst

HK makes the P7, and if you really like the Walther PPS, you might want to take a look at a Bersa Thunder in .380, or the Thunder 9UC

gglass

I'm not sure you are looking for opinions as you state that you ARE going to be buying these guns.

No suggestions here.:p

jg0001

Ah... the P7 is a little to, ahem, ugly... Given the limited # of guns I can get, I'm going to have to rule it out. Sorry!

jg0001

gglass...

On the first two:
I'm looking for any last minute "oh no, don't buy that, read this ...; consider this instead" type replies

On the last one:
I really am totally up in the air here on the big bang gun or a fancier showpiece type gun. I can't be the only one who's considered buying one of the large caliber guns, even knowing they aren't usually considered the best buys.

White Rice

Get the 3 monster guns you note all at once and get it really out of your system. You can get those other vanilla guns any old time.

jg0001

The Bersa Thunder 9uc is a nice looking gun... I can't say I know enough about them though. I'll look into them more. Thanks.

**edit: noticed it holds 13 rounds... is that a double stack mag? I'm probably going to have to rule it out as I'm trying to stay thin on this particular selection**

Last edited:

B.N.Real

The Buckmark is awesome.

The PPS is a great semi auto concealed carry handgun.

The early ones have had some problems and some that own them here are not to happy not really with the gun but there just seems to be an issue with getting good groups with the PPS.

All three magnum guns you stated are horrifically expensive to buy ammo for and the two Smith's require some very important safety training before you fire them.

All three superguns can be bought much cheaper in used gun cases than new because people bought them and found them uncomfortable and expensive to shoot.

The two Smith's are really long range target and hunting handguns.

The Desert Eagle 50 is a hand cannon.

Ammo for that gun is around $2.00 a shot.

It is very large and heavy but that makes it easier to shoot.

Still,it ain't for the weak at heart or small of limb.

jg0001

Ace, I hear ya. I watched that video (well I skipped around in it, it was lengthy). That particular gun is just not attractive looking to me, and given the limited number of guns I can buy, it just won't make the cut. It seems very utilitarian, which is fine, it's just not begging me to pick it up.

jg0001

I guess the real tough question is still the final choice:

What would you do:
(a) buy the S&W 500 for the 50 caliber goodness (and prospect that it may get grandfathered in if there's ever a ban)

(b) buy the S&W 460XVR -- still a big gun, but more choice of ammo

(c) buy the Desert Eagel (50 cal), well, just because... and it will certainly end my desire for a high cal handgun, freeing me up to focus on more useful and cheaper guns (like the 22 I plan to buy)

--or--

(d) spend that same $1500-$2000 on a spiffy looking 1911

My only issue with (d) is that those "spiffy looking" 1911's scream up in price well over $3K very quickly. There are a lot of glorious looking 1911's, but I'm not ready to part with the price of a small import car to buy one.

Sgt.Fathead

What you're getting is mighty important BUT, fellow NJ resident, where are you getting your guns? PM me if you care to and I can maybe steer you to better service/prices.

That aside, the Desert Eagle is far uglier and crappier than any HK P7. It is a big shiny TV gun at best, my apologies to all who love these pigs. The HK P7 is a complicated piece of machinery but the beauty lies in it's function.

You want to get a big old hand cannon, wha'cha' gonna' do for a side job to feed it!? More than a .44 is a bit of waste east of the Rockies, for me.

IanS

1. .22 Buckmark always a good choice. Can't argue with that.

2. Small CCW. Walther PPS and Kahr PM9 have gotten mixed reviews. Many seem to be pleased with them. But, if I was gonna go with more of a "sure thing" a S&W hammerless J frame (640 or 642 depending how comfortable you are shooting snubs) or Ruger SP101 hammerless. If not a small revolver then the Walther P99/C, Glock 26, or S&W M&P/C are more proven choices in an auto if you don't mind the bulk.

3. Slow down. Start out with a .44 Magnum revolver or maybe a .44 Mag Desert Eagle. They will give you plenty of "fireworks" at the range. Master something like that first before moving onto .50, .500, or .460. It might seem cool just to own a Monster gun "on paper" but not when you realize you actually dread shooting the beast.

Last edited:

jg0001

Sarge... to be clear, it's not a choice between a hand cannon and the HK P7. I'm getting 3 guns, one in each of the classes I listed in the op, so the HK P7 is competing with the Walther PPS. [classes: (1) 22LR, (2) SubCompact/pocketgun, (3) hand cannon -or- show piece].

jg0001

IanS, I appreciate the comments.

I'm fully expecting I might not like actually shooting the DE 50. I probably wouldn't much care for 44 mag either. I'll have a total of 4 other guns to pick from (once I buy the new 3) so I'm not too concerned if it turns out I shoot only 1-5 rounds out of the Desert Eagle every now and then. The plinker 22LR and my existing Sig P226 (in 9mm) will likely be my main range guns with the others getting a little time in here and there.

Out of what you listed I pesonally would only buy the Browning. PPS has mixed reviews and I have zero interest in those larger handguns anymore. But sounds like you have made up your mind so get em and enjy them. :)

David the Gnome

Since you're not going to be carrying the gun, why not get the Kahr MK9 instead of the PPS/PM9? It's stainless steel, looks better, and can accept aftermarket grips so you could further dress it up. Not to mention the extra weight (which is only a downside if you're carrying it) will be very welcome when it comes time to actually shoot it at the range.