Get to see how good Glock Service is

wally626

At the range shooting this morning. First round, bang, hole in target everything fine. Second round, bang bang bang bang bang bang, not so fine. My Glock 22 (.40 S&W) went into full auto on me. At least one round went off the ceiling because there was wood splinters on my shooting bench. The range's steel ceiling has wood beams every four or five feet, I must of hit one of those. My gun was new last July, is factory stock, has had about 1300 rounds through it and previously had done well at the range, the only issue was some Wolf ammo that failed to fire. The last time I cleaned the gun I also disassembled the slide and cleaned that, not sure anything up there can cause a full auto state. I did have a little trouble getting the slide back on the last time I field stripped it I had to push the trigger forward to get it to go on. After that I took it on and off several times and it was fine. I ran some snap caps through it also with no issues. Not sure what went wrong, hopefully the factory service can tell me.

Not that I recommend it but it does get the heart racing, so good for stressed firing exercise, After unloading the remaining rounds in the Glock 22, I put about 50 rounds thru a Glock 26, did OK but was little nervous after each shot.

Most interesting thing was after, I finished and went to turn in the rental Glock 26, they said nothing about it. They have signs every four feet that rapid fire is not allowed and I shoot full auto and not one noticed??? The sound proofing is not that good, especially with .40 ammo.

Webleymkv

You say you disassembled the slide and I think that may be the key. If I had to guess, I'd say that the firing pin was either stuck or broken in such a way that it was protruding from the breechface and causing slamfires and thusly full-auto.

starbuck

What Webleymkv said. Or, the firing pin was not correctly reinstalled, it may not be properly engaging the catch on the trigger bar cruciform.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Did you leave lubrication in the firing pin channel by any chance? Even a little? Gummy, gum, gum.

So far as the range not noticing full-auto, I'm sure that those signs are mainly for insurance purposes but, still, you'd think that a rate of fire like that would at least raise eye brows. Especially if no one else was shooting.

wally626

The pin channel was dry, and I have had the slide apart couple of other times. If Glock comes back and says something was in backwards i would not be totally surprised but it seemed alright. The only thing that was strange was that during reassembly the slide would not go on until I moved the trigger. Normally it just slides right back on. The gun is on its way to Georgia, so I'll wait and see.

There was only one other guy shooting and when He left he nodded at me, but for what reason I don't really know. It was a rather short burst, 6 or so shots on full auto do not take long, so maybe it just didn't stand out after being muffled.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The pin channel was dry, and I have had the slide apart couple of other times. If Glock comes back and says something was in backwards i would not be totally surprised but it seemed alright. The only thing that was strange was that during reassembly the slide would not go on until I moved the trigger. Normally it just slides right back on.

I can't quite figure out why it would work for a little while and then not unless something broke. It seems like if you put it together wrong then it would either instantly go auto or not work at all. Sounds broken to me, rather than improper assembly.

Webleymkv

Quote:
My Glock 22 (.40 S&W) went into full auto on me.

Dood...trust me...you do not want to be advertising this...we don't need to know.

There's no reason for the OP to be hesitant to say what happened. A firearm that goes full-auto due to a malfunction is not illegal (so long as the malfunction was not intentionally induced by the owner). The fact that the OP sent the gun back to the factory to get it fixed also kind of removes any doubt that the full-auto was entirely accidental (someone who purposely made an illegal gun isn't likely to send it back to the factory).

starbuck

wally- Before you pack it up and ship it off, consider finding a Glock armorer in your area to take a look at it. Try posting up on glocktalk, we're a dime a dozen these days, so I'm sure there's one near you. It'll probably save you some time.

wally626

Too late. already in the mail (ups). Gun shop/range owner said given its young age, a little over 6-months, it was better just to send it in to the factory. So I took his advise, I did ask him about local Glock people first though.

The clerk at UPS did ask me if I had a copy of the Glock FFL license. I convinced her sending a gun back to the factory was OK without a copy of its FFL.

gc70

My in-house Glock Advanced Armorer bets that you bent the rear of the trigger bar that contacts the firing pin lug.

When you last had your gun apart, you pushed the trigger forward before putting the slide on. Pushing the trigger forward raises the rear of the trigger bar. With the trigger bar raised, forcing the slide on could result in bending the rear of the trigger bar downward, which would reduce the engagement surface with the firing pin lug - not a good thing.

Glock will take care of you.

wally626

Could be right, but after moving the trigger I did not have to force it on. Somethings probably bent in there somewhere.

gc70

PM me when you get your gun back and find out what the problem was; I now have a bet with my son.

voyager4520

Could be that the firing pin safety got stuck in a certain way, keeping the firing pin locked forward. Could be that brass flakes in the firing pin channel locked the firing pin forward. But it's very unlikely that either of these things would cause multiple shots, more likely FTF jams.

Or the more likely cause, the trigger bar is worn down where it meets the firing pin lug. Has anyone done a "25 cent trigger job" on the gun?

wally626

No work has been done on the gun, other than cleaning and I bought it new, so no previous owners who may have done something.

Whenever it comes back I'll update the thread.

gc70

Tuttle8,

Don't take that bet! My son was the one who bet the problem was a bent trigger bar. I think he is right from what he showed me, but I still bet against him to irritate him and in the hope that he might be wrong - at least once - about something related to Glocks. :D

wally626

The gun is back.

The gun showed up this afternoon. I called last Monday and the Glock rep said it would still be 3 or 4 weeks, so I guess he lied. :)

The answer for the bet is:

Replaced firing pin safety, spring and cleaned

A bit cryptic. Don't know if it is something I did when I cleaned the slide or just something breaking when I fired it. In any case off to the range tomorrow to see how it works. I will start with one round and work my way up to a full magazine.

Was covered as a warranty repair, so I was only out the shipping charges going to GA