Get the ding out.

garryc

Looking for a fast DIY way to do this.

I made a mistake assembling my Rossi Rio Grande. The band screw goes through a slot in the magazine tube, apparently i dinged the edge in, even though you can barely see it. The follower will not go past that point.

I do note that the slot appears to have been cut with an abrasive saw and has a big burr on it.

What to do?

nomad636

Can you post some pictures of what is going on? My first thought would be to contact Rossi or Brownells and try to order another screw. My second thought would be to suggest some emery cloth, a file and some patience and try to smooth the burr down. Not being able to see exactly what is happening limits my suggestions.

Best of luck to you sir. That sounds like a pain.

nomad636

go to post a reply and you will see an image of a mountain under the return arrow. Click on that and it will let you insert an image. Or you can click on the paperclip to attach an image.

T. O'Heir

"...has a big burr on it..." Gently file off the burr using a fine file(preferably a jeweller's file. One of those wee file sets. 10 file set runs about $6 in Home Depot.) and forget about it.

I'd measure the inner diameter of the tube.

Then I'd find a round stock that was close to its size and machine it to size.

This would be followed by putting a taper on one end.

Drop it in and pound it past the dent. That'll swage it out without removing any material. ;)

garryc

If it is the burr then I'd think is has to go. I'm thinking that when I put the screw back in it would simply push it back down.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
About the best you can do, is as Gary said, get a piece of round steel rod, about 0.0015-0.002" smaller than the ID of the magazine tube should do it, and drive it past the burr or dented portion. Just as long as the rod is about 0.002" larger than the magazine follower should do it. As thin as that tubing is, you might even get by with a piece of plastic rod, like Delrin, but you're better off with steel.

One last thought, and this is according to the slot cut across the tube, which the screw lays in, is if the slot goes through the tubing wall, take a knife blade, and try to raise it a little at a time. You may even get a bent packing pick to work.

It would be a shame to have to buy a new magazine tube.

mete

Things like burrs just .001" high can cause lots of problems !
First try driving a close fitting rod into the tube as suggested.Make sure it's very smooth and use some oil. I'm sure that will work but if not carefully cut out the damaged section. A dropped .38 revolver with badly sqeezed chamber can be reaired but itwill take anumber of larger and larger rods towork.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I am making a guess that the gun in question is a Winchester clone (73 or 92?).

If so (and IF the ROSSI is made like the original and it has a magazine ring), do not try to remove the magazine tube by driving the magazine ring out. That slot in not a normal straight slot; it is round, made so that the ring must be removed by turning it 90 degrees. Trying to drive it out will ruin both the ring and the cut in the barrel.

(Not applicable; see Post #11 below. I will leave this here for the info of anyone working on the old Winchesters.)

Jim

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I found a photo where someone measured the OD of the magazine plug on a Marlin 336. It was 0.560" in diameter at the magazine end, which is 0.0025" under 9/16". If Rossi did an exact duplication, then taking off 0.002" to 0.0025" from a 9/16" steel rod would do it. You don't want it extra tight fitting, but to slide in with no appreciable play; or a snug slip fit.

If it doesn't take it out at the first go, put a little downward pressure on the end of rod that you are tapping against, forcing the nose of the rod, inside the tube, up against the dent. You'll only need to do that, if you make it too loose fitting.

You can get a 12-14 inch length of 9/16" cold rolled round, from Online Metals, pretty cheap. I would say you could take off a couple thou., by just using emery cloth, if you don't have access to a lathe.

1144 9/16" CR Round:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7633&step=4&showunits=inches&id=286&top_cat=197

Scorch

Take a longish piece of 1/4" rod, wrap abrasive paper around it, mount it in a drill and reach down the tube to where the burr is, then turn the drill on. A few seconds and the burr will be gone. Test by dropping the follower down the mag tube. If it goes through, reinstall the mag. If it stops, repeat as needed.