Get home bag gun.

WVsig

So I am looking to put together a few get home bags, one for me and one for the wife. I carry 99% of the time but the wife can't all the time due to work. So I am looking for a pistol to have in the bag which will be properly secured.

I do not want to put a lot into these guns because they will not be shot often but still need to be reliable. I was leaning towards a Glock 19 Gen 3 which I can get NIB for about $450 OTD. I am not a huge Glock fan but the 19 is a good reliable gun in a easy to shoot caliber.

I am looking for other possible maybe cheaper suggestions for proven reliable 9mms similar to the Glock 19. I am not a fan of the XD platform. I guess I would consider a M&P. Looking at polymer due to weight. I am not sure I am going to save a ton with other offering that will be as reliable.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

You really need to practice with whatever firearm and ammunition you plan on using. I'd be thinking something in SS just for the lower maintenance required. That and the humidity in NC.

DMK

What do you normally carry? Put another one of those in there. Maybe an extra conceal carry holster as well.

"Two is one, one is none" and all that.

Plus you'll already have a few mags on you.

Plus you are very familiar with its use and maintenance.

Plus you know it works well in your environment.

MTT TL

I've seen Glock 22 TI's lately on sale for under $300. I know some people can't shoot the .40 well but I've never had a problem with it.

MandolinMan

I agree that it should be a second of whatever is normally carried, especially since you've said that it will "not be shot often."

Sevens

A Glock 19 is fine but not sure why in the world it needs to be new. These pistols aren't prone to failure nor do they wear quickly.

If it -REALLY- needs to be low budget, I thing a S&W SDVE9 or whatever they call them these days works also. Rugged gun but low money because the trigger is an abomination and not many holster options. But it'll go bang without fail and can be left for dead in a bag for weeks/months/longer.

If DA/SA is no problem, a re-import S&W 915 would be a fantastic choice for low budget.

Does anyone like the idea of a zip-lock freezer bag with a big dessicant pack inside with the pistol, so you can really bury it near the spare tire with little worry of rust/corrosion?

WVsig

What do you normally carry? Put another one of those in there. Maybe an extra conceal carry holster as well.

"Two is one, one is none" and all that.

Plus you'll already have a few mags on you.

Plus you are very familiar with its use and maintenance.

Plus you know it works well in your environment.
I carry BHP, Sphinx SDP, Sig P228 and Ruger LCP depending on the mood and the weather. Life carries LCP and Sig P228. Wife would prefer it not be a cocked and locked gun like the BHP or 1911 because of the platforms it is the one she shoots the least. We shoot enough that DA/SA or DOA (Glock type) will work for both of us.

A Glock 19 is fine but not sure why in the world it needs to be new. These pistols aren't prone to failure nor do they wear quickly.

If it -REALLY- needs to be low budget, I thing a S&W SDVE9 or whatever they call them these days works also. Rugged gun but low money because the trigger is an abomination and not many holster options. But it'll go bang without fail and can be left for dead in a bag for weeks/months/longer.

If DA/SA is no problem, a re-import S&W 915 would be a fantastic choice for low budget.

Does anyone like the idea of a zip-lock freezer bag with a big dessicant pack inside with the pistol, so you can really bury it near the spare tire with little worry of rust/corrosion?

Most of the time I buy new but when I look around it is rare to find a Glock under $400 and I can get NIB OTD for $450. $50 is not a deal breaker for us. It is really not about the $$ it is more about what is best suited for the job.

If I could find 2 Glock 19s used for $400 or less I would certainly go that route. I am considering throwing something else in the bag until I can get 2 used Glocks.

Onward Allusion

Police trade-in Glock 22 with a 9mm conversion barrel as a backup. Complete package will run you $450 or less.

Another vote for either the S&W SD9, SW9VE, or 915.

WVsig

Police trade-in Glock 22 with a 9mm conversion barrel as a backup. Complete package will run you $450 or less.

Another vote for either the S&W SD9, SW9VE, or 915.
I am not a fan of conversion barrels in defensive guns.

I have considered the S&W M&P as well as the SW9VE. The Sigma is butt ugly but they run. For me the M&P is so close to the Glock in price I would most likely just go Glock.

Good suggestions so far.

Last edited:

K_Mac

I would take a good look at the Ruger SR series guns. I think the SR9c is the best of the lot. I have been carrying and shooting one for years with no problems.

rodfac

What's a "get home bag"? Is that the current term for a bug-out bag/post zombie apocalypse kit? Rod

MTT TL

What's a "get home bag"? Is that the current term for a bug-out bag/post zombie apocalypse kit? Rod

A get home bag is what you use to get home when you are working in the city and terrorists crash an airplane in to the building next to you snarling all traffic, shutting the power off, shutting down the subway etc...

Rangerrich99

As I understand it (I'm no expert on the subject), a 'get-home bag,' is similar to a bug out bag, but less comprehensive. So you're not going to bring three days worth of food, a full-size first-aid kit, etc.

The idea is that you're at work/away from home, when something apocalyptic happens, like a tornado, earthquake, zombies, a meteor strike, etc. Now you have to get home, potentially through semi-lawless streets. So your sidearm would be more along the lines of a full-size duty weapon, instead of a small concealed carry type.

So the get-home bag helps you get home so you can get your bug-out bag. And family, of course.

At least that's how I understand it.

WVsig

Smaller bag you keep at work or in a car that is a 24 hour or less bag that has enough stuff to get you home vs a bug out bag is a 72 hour bag or longer. Kind of similar but the goal of the bag is opposite.

Mine is built around a basic backpack which does not stick out. They are especially helpful IMHO in more rural areas where a weather event or major power outage could leave you in situation where you need to walk a reasonable distance to "get home."

It is not really a paranoid thing. It is a the cell service is down due to weather and I have to get myself home on my own two feet on roads where I might not see someone willing to pick me up. It has a change of clothes. Good walking shoes in case you are wearing work shoes like heals. Things like a poncho, quart of water, energy bar, flashlight, multi-tool, thermal blanket,first aid kit and yes a pistol in case you are not already carrying. Rangerrich99 has the idea.

People die in cars every year because they get stranded in a snow storm or other weather event with nothing but their work, dress clothes. In a rural area the chances of this happening in a snow event go up considerably. IMHO

Last edited:

Rangerrich99

I fly overnight freight, so my office is 25,000 ft. up going about 350 knts in the dark, over the desert. So I bring a get-home bag (medium size backpack) in addition to the survival kit in the plane because maybe the survival kit doesn't survive the crash. It includes basic survival elements (water, energy bars, etc.), but also a knife and a gun and a few extra emergency flares.

The G19 sounds fine. I have a S&W M&P9, because it eats my reloads with less fussiness than my Glock, but I don't think it matters, as long as the gun is reliable and you can shoot it adequately. Ruger American Compact might be a good alternative.

Spats McGee

Administrator
It's no secret that I'm a fan of the G19. I love mine, and think it would serve well in this role. With that said, there are a whole host of mid-sized, polymer framed, 9mm guns out there, and many that would serve you well. That said, I'd be looking pretty hard at weight if I were choosing something that I might have to carry home for a few miles. Maybe a used G26, or an SR9c? Something in that size range shaves a few ounces off.

WVsig

It's no secret that I'm a fan of the G19. I love mine, and think it would serve well in this role. With that said, there are a whole host of mid-sized, polymer framed, 9mm guns out there, and many that would serve you well. That said, I'd be looking pretty hard at weight if I were choosing something that I might have to carry home for a few miles. Maybe a used G26, or an SR9c? Something in that size range shaves a few ounces off.
Exactly that was sort of why I asked because one tends to get tunnel vision and go back to the same things for the same roll.

sigarms228

IMO really hard to go wrong with the Glock 19 and of course mag prices are cheap.

A possibility for another option to save some cash might be the M&P 9C, assuming you like the pistol enough and 12 rounds is OK for you, as I have seen those as low as $359 on occasion and with the holidays coming up there could be some sweet deals.

I am thinking myself of getting my wife something to keep in the trunk of her car too but she needs to get off her butt and get serious about going to the range and getting some proficiency first.