Get feedback on ruger lcr & lcrx

lee40215

Wanting to hear some feedback on these 2 models looking at trying to find them in 327 and 357 Any issues?

Cheapshooter

I have the LCR in 38Spcl +p. No problems, but it doesn't get shot a lot. Stoked up with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr Short Barrel +P it serves as a coat pocket gun in heavy Winter coats.
They have a very good reputation. For my use, I prefer the enclosed hammer over the "x" model.
Many people buy the 357Magnum, and only carry 38 Spcl. so the extra 2oz over the +P version helps keep recoil down.

HighValleyRanch

I've owned and carried the 1 7/8 inch models, both LCR and LCRX and now only have the 3" LCRX in .38 special. Loved them all, and all were flawless in both operation, weight and durability and accuracy. Get the right grips and you can shoot the hottest loads out of them. With wood grips, they tend to sting some because of the light weight. I've shot the hottest Buffalobore out of the .357 LCR and it was stout but manageable.
I love the light weight of the .38 models however and with the BB .38 +P they have an ample load.
But now I carry the Kimber K6 which is just about identical in size but holds one more round and has just as nice a trigger as the LCR's. The Kimber has a more noticeable lockup which enables staging if you are into that mode. The LCR's can be staged as well.
The 3" .357 magnum has the steel monolith frame, so it weighs 21 oz verses the 17 ounces of the .38 frame. I believe the .327 model is the stainless steel frame as well. The kimber, all stainless is only a couple of ounces more than the 3" LCRX with one extra round.

Cyanide971

I bought the LCR 327 Magnum model for my wife, which she uses for EDC loaded with .32 Long SJHP. She absolutely loves it because of the complete absence of muzzle blast and recoil, in addition to having a sixth available shot versus five.

rob-c

Wife and I both love our 38+p lcr’s , I pocket carry mine. I would say we have 3 to 4000 rounds down the barrel on both guns with zero problems. I load 158 grainers over 4 grains of unique for our target loads. My CC load is the 158 lead hollow point old FBI load.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I've had a .357 LCR for several years. Maybe 5 years? Trigger pull is long, but smooth. I find shooting .357s out of it to be, erm, less than pleasant. It's not at all bad with .38s, though.

reteach

I have the LCRX .327. I usually carry it in my front pocket, loaded with .32 H&R Mag. I have not found the exposed hammer to be a problem when I draw it, but I wear loose-fitting clothes and my pockets are big enough to accommodate the gun. It's old news by now, but with the .327 you get the option of four different loadings. I've never shot .32 S&W in mine, but I have shot a lot of .32 S&W Long. It's a great practice round and in normal times it can be found for around $17-$18 for a box of 50. The .32 H&R is plenty for me for SD. Check out Lucky Gunner's gel tests for a few available loads. I think the LCRX is a great little gun.

DaleA

I got to fire an LCR .357 magnum and was impressed with the gun but personally I just will not handle .357 magnum 158 grain loads...hurts my hand too much. I might fire 5 or 10 .357 magnum 125 grain rounds from it during a range session but no more than that.

That was with the "stock" LCR. Different grips might change my mind and of course different folk have different tolerances. YMMV.

P.S. Again, I thought the gun was very well made and it functioned fine the day I shot it.

Carmady

Not specific to the two models you mentioned, but keep an eye on the thumbpiece pivot pin because they are prone to back out if you shoot it a lot. It takes a 0.050" allen wrench (aka 1.27mm or 1.3mm).

lee n. field

I've had a .357 LCR for several years. Maybe 5 years? Trigger pull is long, but smooth. I find shooting .357s out of it to be, erm, less than pleasant. It's not at all bad with .38s, though.

Some years back I had a chance to shoot full house .357 through the LCR. It surprised me. Subjectively, it felt about the same as shooting .357 through my all steel, half pound heavier Taurus 605. So, not as bad as I was expecting.

I got to fire an LCR .357 magnum and was impressed with the gun but personally I just will not handle .357 magnum 158 grain loads...hurts my hand too much. I might fire 5 or 10 .357 magnum 125 grain rounds from it during a range session but no more than that.

That was with the "stock" LCR. Different grips might change my mind and of course different folk have different tolerances. YMMV.

A search for better grips is almost a given, with any revolver I buy.

dontcatchmany

I have the lcr in 327 Federal Magnum. My wife has one also but shoots 32 H&R Magnum in it.

I like to pocket cary a back up gun and the LCR is fantastic for that. Exceptional trigger and shoots very accurately.

Good luck finding one.

I gave up looking for one for my wife's friend. None to be found. Of course I was looking for 327 Magnum chambering.

Carmady

HVR, that sounds like a good name for it.

The yellow arrow points to the head (hidden). If it backs out you can see threads in that empty slot.

Attachments

• LCR.jpg
    LCR.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 52

JERRYS.

I've had three LCRs (.22lr, .327mag, .38spl) all were good guns, I no longer have the .38spl.
they have the best trigger for any "J" frame sized gun I've shot. the .22lr isn't as good as the other calibers but noticeably better than any other .22lr D/A I've shot.

stinkeypete

LCRx 3" .38 special for me. It's my kit gun- general field bumming about. It's lighter than any of my .22's to carry and drops easily in the pocket of my field jacket.

The rubber grips were, at first, ugly in my eyes. Shooting .38 +p loads I now find those black rubber grips to be proportional and highly effective. After shooting, I would not change them one bit.

Mine holds the 7 ring on an NRA Bullseye 25 yard target with my best (so far) hand loads, which is not spectacular accuracy.

I like the materials of construction for where I go- falling in to water is often a possibility and I am very confident that a dunking won't harm the LCRx at all.

9x19

I have six of the Rugers

2" LCR .38
2" LCRX .38
3" LCRX .22 LR
3" LCRX .22 WMR
3" LCRX .38
3" LCRX .357

The 2" guns are carry guns for the wife and I.
The 3" guns are woods guns, depending on locale and season.
All are excellent.

lee40215

Appreciate all the feedback. Guess it will be on the lookout list prices right now on the 327 lcrx is high to say the least.

I bought the Ruger LCR 9mm when they first came out. Man, I have shot the heck out of the gun and love it the more I shoot it. Just had it out yesterday for a 100rd. (I normally load up 40 moon clips the night before but cutting back since the shortage crap)
Just a super shooting revolver that is nothing but fun at the range. And the gun is flawless every time. (learned not to shoot cheap ammo). Later I bought the LCR22 as a trainer and it has become my favorite Plinker.
The LCR has to be one of the best Snubbies made. Solid and sound built, great trigger that is smooth and deliberate all the way through.
0OPluvK.jpg

Here is a great article on the LCR9mm

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Last edited: