Get a grip! ...but which one?

RPSmith

I'm looking for new grips for my new stainless S&W .41 revolver :D

I've seen several examples of cocbolo and like some of them.

I've also looked at some kingwood grips (and really like them) but only in catalogs (where I presume only the finest examples are shown).

Does anyone out there have pics of your grips (kingwood especially), on stainless revolvers or otherwise, to help me out. All help appreciated, RP

Here are my S&W revolvers w/wood replacement grips.

Hogue Lamo Camo on m642
SWm642.jpg

Excalibur Rosewood on m640
SWm640.jpg

S&W Walnut on m60
Smithm60.jpg

Hogue Pau Ferro on m60
SWm60.jpg

Hogue Goncalo Alves on m686
SWm686.jpg

Hogue Goncalo Alves on m629
SWm629.jpg

A word of advice with Kingwood and true Rosewood (not laminate)...never buy them unless you can see them first or the sales person can look at the for you. Hogue will usually inspect them if you call them. Both these woods can be very unattractive if they are too green. The rosewood will look pink and the Kingwood will have a light purple cast.

RPSmith

PBP, I knew you'd come through for me. Thanks for the pics!

I agree with you on picking out the PARTICULAR grips I want to buy. It seems that the cocbolo are more reliably good-looking, sight unseen. Those rosewood grips are pretty darn hot too though.

Unfotunately there aren't many places around that I can pick out the exact grip I want. I guess I'm shopping around for pics so I can get a good feel for the breadth of what's out there.

I'll post pics when I getr them. Thanks again. RP

3-fitty-7

i ordered a set of rosewood from hogue once, after the 8 week wait they were pink, not just like a light reddish look i mean PINK! so i sent em back and just left the stock grips on my trooper.

KMO

Once Penguin posts his pics, there is little else to contribute. Does he ever shoot those guns?

Nekron

Once Penguin posts his pics, there is little else to contribute. Does he ever shoot those guns?

If he does, I'd sure like to know what he used to clean those cylinder faces with! :)

GUNKWAZY

My stuff may not be as nice as da Playboy, but it may help you with your original question of what grip.

short629.jpg

short696.jpg

short66.jpg

short686.jpg

FYI: The second one down, the 696 is a Kingwood grip.
Also, all the grips shown are round butt conversion grips.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

RPSmith

Gunkwazy...

Those grips on the upper two guns are beautiful! What's on the first one? Cocobolo?

And what model is that 629? 657?

Either way a classy piece - and well-appointed. Cheers! RP

Gunkwazy

You just helped me make a decision. I was debating which grips to get for my new .45colt Ruger Redhawk and after seeing how those Lamo Camo finger grove grips look on your Smith and I am going to get them for my Ruger. I had just bought a pair of the Lamo Camo for my Smith m642 and really like them despite the fact they are ugly as hell. Who makes the ones you have? Are they Hogue?

These are the ones I just ordered.:)

19452L.jpg

GUNKWAZY

Those grips on the upper two guns are beautiful! What's on the first one? Cocobolo?
And what model is that 629? 657?

It's a 3 inch 629.
I think that those are Cocobolo if I remember correctly.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)