German vs. French mfg. Walther PP

Hays

There seems to be a lot of ex-police Walther PPs floating around. Both AIM Surplus (www.aimsurplus.com) and CDNN Investments (www.cdnninvestments.com) advertise German mfg. Walther PPs in very good to excellent condition for $250.

Also, Dan's Sporting Good's (www.dansammo.com) is offering Manhurin PPs for $200. Ad states some holster wear, but bores are excellent - some seem to be unfired.

I would like to pick one of these up, but I'm not sure which one is the better deal. I've read that the German PPs are much better than the U.S. Walthers, but how does the French-made PP compare? Is the German worth the extra $50?

Thanks for your help.

mcshot

PPs

I have a Manhurin that was made in 53 that is very well made. They have a reputation for quality workmanship. $200 is a great buy as I paid much more for mine which came in its original serial #ed box with 2 mags and a police holster. I would go with the Manhurin, then German then US.
mac

mbott

Hays,

The Manhurin PP's are C&R eligible, so if you have a C&R license, that would be the one I would go for. Which is exactly what I did last year.

--
Mike

Hard Ball

Both shoot very well and seem to be well made. On the average the German pistols seem to have a slightly better finnish.

johnwill

I picked up one of the Manhurin ones from AIM for $250, it's almost brand new, two magazines and the original box. I've compared the workmanship of mine to a friend's German PP, and if you don't look for the name on the gun, you couldn't tell them apart. With my C&R, it was very convenient to pick up the Manhurin, came right to my door. :)

7th Fleet

German PPks/PPs

The German guns are the prefered examples if you can find one, the fit and finish on them is superb. I have owned on for 25 years and it is one of my prized possessions.

7th

dwestfall

When activating the safety on your Manhurin, at what point does the hammer drop? On my buddy's Manhurin, the hammer doesn't drop until the lever reaches the very end of the arc. In fact you almost have to push the lever a little at the end before the hammer drops. Is it safe?

Also, what ammunition do you use? This Manhurin PP only digests the FN .32, and chokes on all modern FMJ. What HP would work, Silvertips?