German stalking rifle

Bigfatts

So I've always wanted a fine German stalking rifle, a really nice single shot break action. A Blaser or Kreighoff being way out of my price range and the fact that I can't stand the Encore led me to the rifle I bought. Seller says there is no maker's mark. It's in 9.3x72R, he believes it is pre 1899. Octagon 27.5" bbl, flip up rear sight, underlever action, double triggers, tang safety. Anyone know what this is? I plan on turning it into a take down but don't want to alter it if it is something really valuable or rare, you know. Anyways, anyone know anything about this?

These are the pics I have of it, still waiting on it to get here.
pix1305046390.jpg

pix1305046312.jpg

932.jpg

931.jpg

PetahW

I'm thinking "Kettner" action, off the top of my head - although it resembles a Ferlach-made action, too.

I would think it fairly valuable - certainly well over a Grand, for sure.

Last edited:

Bigfatts

By replacing the forend screw with a shotgun-esque latch. I've seen it done on an old BRNO single shot, ala the rifle here:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/662108199

I would like to have a nice take down case for it.

I'm thinking "Kettner" action, off the top of my head - although it resembles a Ferlach-made action, too.

I would think it fairly valuable - certainly well over a Grand, for sure.

Well that's nice, 'cuz I paid well under a grand for it. :D So Kettner or Ferlach maybe? I will do some research.

fisherman66

Speaking of BRNO, CZ will be importing that single you mention this year with a new name.."effect"

get_img.php

The Euro version will have several nostalgic chambers, but the US version will be in 308 and 30-06.

There will be a full stock version as well, but I don't know if it will be made available in the US.

get_img.php

PetahW

Meffert ? Yeah, I'd go for that.

There might be maker's or proof marks on the barrel underside, covered by the wood.
Can you tell what the logo (?) is on your action's left side, just below the water table ?

100057677-1-l.jpg

There were literally dozens of different German/Austrian falling block actions/systems made in Europe.

In Europe, someone just doesn't become a gunsmith or gunmaker by simply starting to work on guns - that's not allowed, as gun work is a strict guild system, similar to our labor unions, except much stronger.

Once a gunsmith/maker was accredited, many built their own idea of a "proper" single-shot action, and produced rifles on it - some a few, some were prolific.

BTW - There's no way I would alter that forend, or anything else on it. IMHO, it's one heck of a hunting rig, as is.

Bigfatts

Yes, I've heard of that rifle. One of the guys on AR said he saw one at one of the SCI shows, I think, and said it was like $1600. Out of my price range. But it would be a nice lower priced alternative to the Blaser or Merkel.

Bigfatts

Thanx Petah. The more I think on it, the more I think I might have a different forend made for it to save the original. I can't read the logo on it, I will tell for sure what it says when I get it. I'll list any proof marks too.

Jim Watson

I think the mark in the oval is DRGM 280xx6
Stands for Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster and the registration number for the design. Best I can tell it is not a real patent (DRM), but something in between a design patent and a copyright. Does not really indicate the maker unless you had access to OLD German government files that we tended to drop bombs on at one time.

PetahW

[DRGM 280xx6 ]
[Stands for Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster and the registration number for the design. ]

Yep.

DRGM = German Empire Registered Design, followed by the design number.

AFAIK, the DRGM logo was carried until ca.1952, when it was switched to DBGM for the Bundes Republic, rather than Deutches Reich.

Bigfatts

Ok, so I think this is a Meffert rifle like the other I showed you. I got it today and must say I am impressed. It handles well and is VERY light and trim. And the pics of it don't do the case hardening justice. I think the serial number is 295 as it's marked on the reciever, bbl and forend. I found some markings under the forend:

IMG_0574.jpg

Do those mean anything to anyone? Dunno what the other numbers are... Oh and the logo on the reciever is DRGM 280196.

Jim Watson

Well the (Crown) B, (Crown) U, (Crown) G make up the famous "BUG proof" of guns in Germany from 1891-1939.

The 118.35 is the gauge of the gun, 118.35 balls per pound to fit an 8.64mm bore - not the 9.3mm groove. They must have gone by a sloppy gauge fit, all the bore diameters I have seen in proof marks seemed small.

I don't know what the 10.07 and 534 stand for. They do not relate to the powder or bullet weight that I have for 9.3x72. Maybe October 1907?

Bigfatts

Thanx Jim. I'm waiting to see a guy at the next show who is into old German guns so I'll see if he can tell me anything further. Now that I have one, I can see how people love single shots. I might have to buy some more.

Navy joe

Well as the proud new owner of a drilling sporting a 9.3x72R rifle barrel try not to cry when you read the ammo price tag. Luckily I got gifted with a batch of ammo and dies. Let me know if you are ever interested in a temporary loan of the dies. Beautiful rifle.

Bigfatts

Let me know if you are ever interested in a temporary loan of the dies. Beautiful rifle.

Thanx man, that was a very nice gift. Ammo is steep but I probably won't shoot it enough to reload for it. At well under 6lbs I'm sure it's going to be a little on the punishing side.

I don't know what it is but it's beautiful and I wouldn't modify it.

Why thank you, that is exactly what I have decided.

kscardsfan

I have the same basic rifle that I just inherited in a large gun collection, except mine has some different numbers under the forearm. I'm guessing these are the caliber markings, but I'm not educated enough in German gauge to caliber conversions. If I can figure out how to post quality pictures I will so I can get some help with the ID and value of this gun. I have been trying to figure this gun out since November when I got it. Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 124