German SAAs

jar

I've been trying to get some information on two German manufacturers. One was easy, J. P. Sauer & Sohns, the other has been tough. J. P. Sauer started making SAA revolvers in 1958 and each one was classical German Overproof.

The other manufacturer is Herbert Schmidt. They went out of business around 1995. Like the Sauers, all of their guns were proofed individually. But it looks like they were making SAAs even before WWII. I have found some that are marked Made in Germany and not West Germany and with no importers markings on them. I think that unless they were made before partition they should either have an importers mark or say West Germany.

Do any of you good folks know anything about Herbert Schmidt?

Kernel

I don't have the specifics you asked for however you're probably aware that the current production EAA Bounty Hunter SAA is made in Germany on old Sauer production equipment. I had a 4 5/8" .357 for a few years. Neat little revolver and tight as a drum, tighter than any Ruger I've handled. Had a Ruger type transfer bar safety too, but the more traditional Colt type "click, click, snick" trigger and half-cock loading gate configuration. But I tried to down size my collection and I prefer guns with adjustable sights so I sold it. -- Kernel

James K

Member In Memoriam
The "West" was not uniformly used. I have seen the marking both ways on post-war production. Maybe they changed with the closing off of the Soviet zone, but I don't know that. I am reasonably certain that no SAA type revolvers were made in Germany prior to WWII.

Jim

johnAK

I have FIE imported Arminius brand SAA clone 357 mag 7"(I thnk model 1978 or something) made in west germany,
no, I saw manual last night, it was not Herbert Schmidt, I am really happy with it, most accurate gun I have,

Last edited:

reverendrob

I've got one in .22 LR

HS, no import mark, "made in Germany", full sized SAA clone.

It's my favorite of the cheapo wheelguns out there, accurate, fun, and a blast to shoot.