german k98 sniper repo

cashmore1985

how expensive is ammo?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=8mm+mauser+ammo

As far as the other questions, kar 98's can be great shooters. If you want collectors value though, that drilled and tapped scope mount is going to screw you. It's not worth nearly as much now but if you just want a good shooting scoped rifle thats old school military then sure, go for it.

taylorce1

Other than that rifle starting out about $400+ more than what that rifle is worth now that it has been D&T it looks like a fun rifle.

madcratebuilder

Other than that rifle starting out about $400+ more than what that rifle is worth

+1

A RC K98 is a $200 rifle, this one is a nice example so maybe $300 top dollar. The K-4 Weaver can be found on evil bay in like new condition for 50-75 bucks, rings are 25 bucks. Drill and tap $??, nothing if you can DIY.

I picked up this Yugo Mod98, most of the dirty birds intact, excellent bore for $165. There are better deals to be found.
pix3309944890.jpg

ML41887

Ask the guy to show you a target that he's shot at 100 yards. That would tell me if it was worth $400-500. If he doesn't or it doesn't group well, let it go.

5whiskey

Yeah, nice little marketing gimmick he has there. Charge 650 for a 250 dollar rifle with a 100 dollars worth of scope and rings slapped on it.

Plus it's getting kinda hard to find 8mm mauser ammo loaded to it's full potential that is capable of much accuracy anyway. Not without paying through the nose for it, at least.

gew98

The rifle on GB is not even a 'reproduction"...it's got commercial mounts and optics. For $650 it's not worth a second look. The reproduction LSR's and high turrets that utilize reproduction Zf39 scopes are good up until you consider the repop Zf39 scopes...they are **** poor and breakage of them is guaranteed from standard shooting.

DoctorXring

Not a bad price on this

I think that he's asking fair price. That is an above average RC with a nice bore. Nice wood, good finish. Milled metal parts. Dan's Ammo is the only
place I know of that is selling them. $329 + shipping.

This is what I ad up, conservatively --

A nice RC $325
Leupold bases $25
Leupold Super High rings $30
Bold adjustable trigger $50
Glass bedded action $75
Weaver K4-1 scope $85
Bend bolt to clear $50
Drill & tap receiver $50

Total $690

I think he's a little under considering this rifle is ready to go.
I am being conservative with gunsmithing fees here. Also,
a Weaver K4-1 is not the run of the mill K4. This was one of the finest
scopes Weaver ever built and this one is in nice collectible shape.
Yeah, you can find crappy RC's with buttstocks that have the buzz
sander treatment and questionable bores for less. Why put all
this work into a rifle like that ?

You boys haven't had many guns built have you ?

If you think this is high, try pricing out a build on an LSR repro K98.

This looks like a good alternative for a lot less money. And it is
an attractive set up. Looks very "sniperish" with that blued steel
scope with the sharp angles.

:)

good shooting, dxr

Last edited:

taylorce1

You boys haven't had many guns built have you ?

I've built a few, and while he may have spent close to $700 to make that rifle the way it is. The seller destroyed the true value of the rifle by doing so. That rifle isn't worth what a RC in good condition is worth, most people who build sporterize Military rifles should realize there isn't really any return on your investment.

I have quite a few sporter military surplus rifles and most I didn't even pay close to what this guy is asking for this one. Now that the rifle has been D&T for scopes I wouldn't pay any more for it than $200-250 tops. I'd Strip it down and sell off everything but the action and go to work building a true sporter rifle.