Georgia concealed carry laws

Barn Dog

Possible move to GA - can anyone tell me if you can get a license for concealed carry, how much does it cost and how long to get one etc. Also, if concealed carry is permitted, any reciprocity with other states?

Area is north of Atlanta (Marietta/Alpharetta area) - any other comments on local pistol/rifle ranges, gun shops to go to, gun shows, housing, quality of life in general and cost of living is also appreciated. Thanks, Barn.

Bud Helms

Shall issue. $48 initial. 5 years. $18 renewal as I recall. Concealed carry permitted with some important limitations. No public (meaning state and local gov't) buildings. No "public gatherings", like high school football games, churches ... No establishments that sell alcohol for the purposes of consumption on the premises. We're not bad, but we have a long way to go.

FLM

No classes, no tests. About 60-90 days to receive your permit. What I miss most about Georgia was you could place your handgun right next to you in your auto. I had a holster rigged up right next to my right hand. There are several ranges in the Atlanta area and numerous gun shows. It's a great place for shooters. I think you'll like it. :)

lonegunman

Also, you have to carry your weapon in a holster, or have some type on clip-draw or hip-grip device on it.

No mexican carry in GA.

Liberty Ship

The wait for first time Georgia CCW's seems to be up to 6 months now. They claim that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been backed up since 9/11.

I took a student to apply for hers a few weeks ago. She is now mad that she has to wait 6 month to carry legally while the criminal element is carrying illegaly RFN! I feel sorry for her, but we now have one more hard core anti-gun-law convert!

Anyway, gun ranges in the area of Marietta/Alpharetta include River Bend, a private club to the north. Nice facility, lots of rules, though. Sporting clays, skeet, trap, 600 yard high power rifle, action pistol, plinking, 2 multi purpose rifle, bullseye pistol. Initiation plus $200/year. There are a couple of indoor ranges in Mareitta, none in Alpharetta (which is in generally anti-gun Fulton County), one in Norcorss.

I would suggest that you stay out of Fulton County. Everything you have to do with the county is a big hassle. If you end up there, you will have to apply for your CCW in the Fulton County Probate Court. Even though we are a shall issue state, Fulton County will ask you why you want a permit. Even though there is no place on the form to put your answer, THEY WILL TYPE IT OVER THE SIGNATURE LINE, swear you and ask you to sign. When I asked what the deal was, the clerk said, "You can say anything you want and still get the permit. The judge just wants to know." There is no doubt in my mind that you will see your answer in court if you are ever involved in a shooting.

I had heard about this, so I had briefed my student to answer, "So that I can comply with the law." That's what she said and that's what they typed. We can live with that, but I shudder to think what some people might have said off the cuff.

Lennyjoe

For active duty military, you might want to read this code section pertaining to Concealed weapons and permit requirements. Specifically (3). From what I read your not required to have a permit as long as your serving and stationed in Georgia. A fellow hunting partner who was a Lowdnes County Sheriff Deputy agreed with this code but he told me to keep a copy of this code on me when I carried just in case I was confronted. Anyone disagree?

16-11-130 G
*** CODE SECTION *** 12/03/01

16-11-130.

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or
affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in
the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law,
regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of
Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they
remain certified whether employed by the state or a political
subdivision of the state or another state or a political
subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides
a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional
institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of
persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United
States;

(4) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the
government of the United States or agencies thereof when
possession of the weapon is necessary for manufacture, transport,
installation, and testing under the requirements of such contract;

ect.........

Lennyjoe

But, then again, if you read 16-11-129 it goes into licensing info. So the big question is this, should you still be required to obtain a license in order to carry? The Deputy I knew said I didnt need one. Maybe it is a two way street. Best bet was to get one. I did just to be safe.

Bud Helms

Lennyjoe,

I verified with the Probate Judge whose signature is on my license that active duty military personnel in the state of Georgia are not required to apply to the state to carry. You can bet your butt that the military does not advertise it. I spoke to the SJA office and they got a big stutter going.:D

Tom B

When I returned to Ga 3 years ago and applied they let me transfer my Alabama permit (nice lady at the Newton County Courthouse). It didn't cost as much and only took a couple of weeks to arrive. I did have to be fingerprinted. I don't like big cities so I stay away from Atlanta. There are many crooked officials and LEOs in that area (the local news is like a circus each night) so be careful. Many very incompetent politicians running Atlanta. Most people live in the outlying counties such as Gwinnett and Rockdale. Get ready for a mass of humanity and traffic! I have been trying to leave ever since I returned here but it is hard to find industry in Wyoming or New Mexico that needs a Maintenance Manager or Plant Engineer! You can carry a handgun in your car in Georgia without a permit if that is what you want to do. When you arrive if you end up on the east side contact me and I will take you to South River Gun Club as my guest to see how you like it. Its located in Covington (no not Conyers glocksters Covington!). About 30 miles east of Atlanta.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Important note to carrying in your car without a permit. Under the seat is illegal. Glove box is legal. Otherwise it must be in open view. With a permit it can be anywhere in the car legally.

joeislove

no mexican carry?

nope....law says something about carrying in a holster and I believe it says it has to be at waist level or higher, which would preclude ankle carry. Not sure about this, though, and I can't find the code sections.

Cost is $24 to GBI for background check and whatever the probate court of your county charges for doing the paperwork. Mine came out to be around $40 in Clarke County. I had mine almost exactly 60 days after applying.

Lennyjoe

Sensop, thats what I figured but thought Id throw caution to the wind and got my CCW license anyway when I was there. ;)

Chief Jones

Just got back from a "visiting the inlaws" trip to Maryland. Talked to several people about THEIR gun laws. Re-inforced my decision to live in Dixie......

Dan in GA

Lonegunman, I've never seen anything in the GA code that says you can't, ...but you have to question what common sense tells you about carrying openly on your person in public where it is not commonplace.....Dan in GA

*** CODE SECTION *** 12/03/01

16-11-126.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person,

unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view,

any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

Bud Helms

There's no prohibition to open carry that I've ever been able to get out of the code ... and I've looked. However, Dan's got a point. If you did carry openly you might just deserve whatever the next Deputy that isn't familiar with the law dishes out. It could be an uncomfortable few hours. It seems that the provisions of the Georgia Firearms and Weapons Act aren't well known by the keepers of the law in some communities here. One of the worst comments I ever got was from my own Sheriff's dept. "There ain't no such thing as a license that let's you carry a weapon concealed in Georgia." Okaaaaaay, I'm thinking, as I quietly hang up. :rolleyes:

The key words in Dan's excerpt are, "... except as permitted under this Code section." So, you are prohibited from carrying concealed, unless you are licensed with a Georgia Firearms License. No mention of open carry. None.