Georgia announces reciprocity with Alabama & Wyoming!

papercut

From the Georgia AG website at http://www.ganet.org/ago/press/press.cgi?prfile=PR.20020213.01

PRESS ADVISORY
For immediate release
2/13/2002

Attorney General Announces Firearms Reciprocity with Two Additional States

Attorney General Thurbert Baker announced today two additions to Georgia’s program of reciprocal recognition to firearms permit holders from other states. Legislation passed in 1996 allowed Georgia to grant this privilege to citizens of states which recognized Georgia firearms permits.

The States of Alabama and Wyoming have now determined that they will both honor Georgia firearms permits effective February 15, 2002. Therefore, effective February 15, 2002, Georgia will recognize firearms permits issued by Alabama and Wyoming.

With this revision, Georgia now reciprocates in recognizing firearms licenses with the following states:

Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New Hampshire, Tennessee and Wyoming.

Please note that although Texas was previously listed as a state with which Georgia had reciprocal recognition of firearms permits, currently no such reciprocity exists between Georgia and Texas as to firearms permits.

Woo-hoo!

(Could some of you 'Bamans enlighten us Jawjuns over proper CCW rules? What types of businesses are off limits? Concealed in car? etc....)

Last edited:

Hutch

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!

It's a great day dawning tomorrow!! As someone who splits time between GA and AL, with a primary residence in AL, I am thrilled beyond measure.

Guyon

Alabama is a strange bird when it comes to CCW. I used to live there, and all it took for the carry permit was a trip to the sheriff's office, $20 (amounts vary slightly among different counties), a quick background check, and proof of residence in the county. Piece of cake.

However, here in TN, I had to take an 8 hour class ($90), take both a written and a range test, and then submit finger and palm prints to the TBI and FBI. I also had to shell out about $100 for the permit (though it is good for 4 years).

Because AL standards are so lax by comparison, TN doesn't recognize an AL permit, and since turnabout is fair play, AL doesn't recognize TN's permits. This stinks since I had to go through so much more here to get a permit. I still have family in AL and wish my permit were valid there.

LonWilson

Spoke with the VCDL

VCDL is also working hard on getting reciprocity with Florida. The reason VA refuses to recognizes FL is because our permit allows carrying of all firearms and weapons, while their's is only for handguns.

Anyway, that was determined by an interim AG in VA, and the new AG is very pro-gun, so it may make passing the recognition bills in VA a bit moot for FL CCW'ers.

Most of my family are in VA, so I'd love the ability to carry there.

yankytrash

Congradulations Georgians!

Oh, and BTW, that's one awesome law you got there - immediate reciprocity.

Hopefully, we up here in Va will be able to start pushing for that in two more years.

The Terminator

Hutch

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!
It's a great day dawning tomorrow!! As someone who splits time between GA and AL, with a primary residence in AL, I am thrilled beyond measure.

Hutch, me too!!!!!!!! Yes, a great day to be a Southerner! I am an Alabama boy who has lived in Georgia for 20 years. I used to keep a permit for both states, I don't know what I would have done if I would have been asked about it in Alabama. I still go to Bama usually twice a month for a 3 day weekend. My mother and my grandmother and the rest of my family there are only 72 miles from my doorstep in Ga. I have looked for this for many years and whew! Finally!! I first got my pemit in Bama when I got a job as a security guard, and I kept it. I got mine in Georgia when (let me puke while I say this) bill clinton rammed the crime bill down our throats. I finally let my Bama permit go. And BTW, no law ever kept me from carrying a loaded firearm wherever I wanted to go in Alabama. (discreetly)

Hutch

No offense, I hope...

But I can't resist this jab, dunno the author:

"I have only to look at Atlanta to see what a quarter of a million Confederate soldiers died to prevent."

To the 3 native-born Atlantans left in the down, I apologize.

AUTiger73

THANKS !!!

Appreciate the news. As a resident of SE Alabama, I live only 24 miles from the Georgia state line and about 15 miles from the Florida state line. Also, I attend many conventions and conferences in Atlanta.

Now I can pack legally in Georgia. Oops, didn't mean to imply I've been carrying illegally in Georgia. Never would have done that ...

labman.45

"To the 3 native-born Atlantans left in the down, I apologize."

Actually there are 12 of us.

lab.45:)
Emory University Hospital Maternity Ward - Class of '59