Gentlemen, need help on a new toy

Dirty_Harry

I am wanting to buy a .223 semi auto rifle. I have an AR-15, but I am leaning towards another one. I am also kindof thinking about a DPMS .308 AR-15. Tell what you guys think or suggest.

rgitzlaff

6.5 Grendel

You could always get a 6.5 Grendel AR-15! Get the ballistics of the .308 in the AR-15 package. Then you can always share the same lower to save some money. Plus a .308 AR is not an AR-15, but an AR-10.

john in jax

The DPMS LR-308 is a great rifle! I liked my 24" bull bbl'd version so much I went out and got the AP4 - the M4 looking .308 AR.

If your current AR-15 is a bull bbl'd varmit/tackdriver you might go with the quick, light AP4. If your current AR-15 is more of a short, CQB, carbine then you might consider a LR-308 with the 24", free floated, bull bbl.

rgitzlaff

The Grendel isn't that hard to find, there are several manufacturers out there now making either uppers or entire rifles. Some make barrel kits that you can buy the barrel with extension installed and a matching bolt to install on your own upper. That is the cheapest way to do it. Ammo might be a bit of a problem unless you reload. the supply for the ammo has not quite gotten caught up with the demand. AT least the .308 ammo is readily available anywhere in any grade you want. You probably would not pay a whole lot more for a grendel rifle than a DPMS 308, but it will be more.

Manufacturers:
Les Baer
JP Enterprises
Alexander Arms
Sabre Defense
Competition Shooting Sports

Ammo:
Wolf gold
Alexander Arms
Black hills (available only through Les Baer)

Barrel kits:
Competition shooting sports
Satern Barrels
Sabre

Last edited:

Dirty_Harry

I am set on .223 or .308.

spctim11, I like the HK style rifles, but the only cool looking one to me is the shorty....and that comes with the tax stamp.

Have you looked at the Rock River .308's? They have a few different configurations or you can custom order it the way you want. I have one in .223 and I LOVE it. 2 stage match trigger, 20" barrell. I have at least 1000 rounds of 64gr. Nato surplus ammo through it and still no problems. My dad has one in .308 with 20" barrell and so far no problems. Check them out at www.rockriverarms.com

overkill556x45

+1 for RRA .308. An army buddy and I have been drooling over them for some time now. For only $1150MRSP, you can't go wrong. Also, RRA will build it to your taste. The same army buddy has an RRA M-4gery and I must say it appeared to be of better quality than my Bushmaster. I think RRA is the way to go. Bushmaster can be a bit pricey, and I don't know much about DPMS.

Buy the RRA and tell me how great it is so I can justify another $1000 rifle while I'm in college.

oh- and I believe the RRA model can take metric or inch FNFAL mags!

I couldn't find mine at a dealer either. I had to order it through a dealer. Only took about 4 days to get it. Well worth the wait. If I'm not mistaken RRA has a dealer locater on their web page.

shooter_john

My DPMS LR308 only made me want another one in a different configuration... The only drawback I can think of is the price of mags, usually around $40-$50. I'd also like to have the .260!

Dirty_Harry

You know, I was thinking about one of these in .243 or .260, but I also want it as a defense rifle, so wanna stick with the .308 or .223 for ammo availability. Plus I have never seen one of those in stores, and I want to buy from my dealer.

berated

FN FS2000 is one fun gun. Well-balanced, accurate and light. Add a holo scope and you're set. The only drawback (other than the ~$2000 price tag) is a 'mushy' trigger. I have enjoyed mine thoroughly.

FS2000%20MG%2EJPG

Dirty_Harry

I have held a fs2000, and it just felt small on me....I am 6'5" and 290 lbs, even some of the ar-15's are borderline too small, my favorite firearm I have is my M1A Standard. It is a good size for me.