Gen 4 Glock grip

Do you like the Gen 4 Glock grip texture?

• Yes

Votes: 47 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Who doesn't like holding on to 50 grit sandpaper?

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HistoryJunky

About a week ago I purchased my first Gen 4 Glock, a Glock 26. I haven't got out to shoot it yet, but in dry firing I have noticed the grip to be... abrasive.

I don't think I've ever held another pistol that had a grip that seemed so unfriendly to the hand. It's not so much that it hurts to grip it for long periods of time, but it leaves the waffle pattern imprinted in my hand for awhile.

Like I said I haven't shot it yet, but I can only imagine that being worse while firing rounds through the gun. I don't really want to sand it down but I suppose that is an option.

How do my fellow Gen 4 Glock owners feel about the new grip texture?

Tucker 1371

My County issued me a brand spankin new Gen4 G22. Had to shoot 500+ rounds through it during range week in the academy. It's absolutely NOT my favorite grip on a handgun, I much prefer my CZ75 SP01. But for a working gun it's not terrible.

Much like you I find that it isn't uncomfortable to shoot for long range sessions; but it's not exactly comfortable either and does leave a waffle pattern on my hand.

Overall I'd say it's kind of a wash as far as comfort goes, the biggest detractor to the Glocks comfort factor isn't the grip texture so much as it is the grip geometry (square-ish).

*edit to add

That said, I do like the Gen4 grip much better than the earlier generation Glocks, it feels like they've trimmed it down a bit.

Sharkbite

Thats funny.

I, and all my guys, add stippling to INCREASE the amount of friction. I tend to like the larger dots afforded by what some people call the "stingray" texture.

To each his own....

wpsdlrg

Yes, no.....maybe. For me, "like" doesn't enter into it. It is about what works. The Gen 4 grip texture does work, at least for me.

Good enough.

GoPappy

I never notice the texture when I'm shooting my Gen 4 Glock 27. It's a complete non-issue.

And I like the Gen 4 grip a LOT more than the Gen 3 grip.

Slimjim9

Yes and no. I shot many hundreds of rounds through my G19 and always thought it was a little abrasive but not enough to make me have to change it. Then I put a rubberized Talon grip "sleeve" on it and was instantly a lot happier. I rented a G26 recently and liked it a lot but if I get one, a Talon grip will be the first mod done.

Cyanide971

If you dislike the Gen 4 Glock grip texture, don't grab an FNS 9/40! My Glock has a very rough, aggressive stippling job done to the grip (as does about every other poly framed pistol I own).

P71pilot

I am not an owner of a gen4 glock but I have shot a gen4 19, 26, and 42. My opinion is that the grip is actually lacking in texture. The spaced obtruding dots to me don't grip all that well. But my hands are extremely rough and tough. I am a roofer, so my hands get cut or rubbed raw almost on a daily basis. I have caluses on top of caluses. The grip on my Walther PPQ is also too slippery so I added a rubber Talon grip which helped a lot

Spats McGee

Administrator
I like the Gen 4 texture just fine. Aggressive enough to keep from feeling slippery, but not so aggressive that it shreds the inside of my jacket.

boatdoc173

it is ok. I prefer walther/H+Ks grips and the SA xd as well. BUt most plastic fantastic guns have this issue of rough textured grips. Thus the many grips covering substances out there for you to buy and customize yours

good luck

Lohman446

My wife has a G17C (gen 3) and I have a G29 (gen 4). I had tried to like Glock 10MMs before generation 4 and found the grip was simply too big. I did not try a SF version. Had I not read about the different grip texture I would likely have never noticed. Obviously it bothers some people but I think there is an awful lot being made of it.

I don't think it's abrasive at all. Then again, people have told me my TRP is supposed to have very aggressive front strap checkering and it hurts they hands and I don't feel that either.

I think it's leaps and bounds above the Generation 3 Glock and under, frames. Which get slippery when you're sweaty, it's raining, etc. I used to have to stipple the Generation 3 Glocks I've had. Never had to with my Generation 4. I actually only go for Generation 4 Glock.. Another huge deal for me, is the beaver tail. That is such a must.. I spent most of the last 10 years shooting SIG Sauer pistols exclusively. So I naturally grip very high on handguns, this beaver tail helps me do just that without potential slide bit.

BarryLee

Before I purchased a G26 Gen4 I was freaking out about the grip and already had grip extensions, skateboard tape, G17 magazines etc. However, when I got to the rage for the first time and focused on the target and the sites the grip was the last thing on my mind. Maybe I’m not sophisticated enough, but to me the gun shoots fine just the way it came. Yes, the ability to use larger magazine is great and I have them up to 33 rounds, but the standard grip seems fine for daily carry.

Who gives a crap? With some sand paper and/or a soldering iron, you can make the grip into whatever you want. Add in a dremel, and you can undercut the trigger guard, remove finger grooves, etc.

One of the big advantages of a polymer frame is that they are easily modified, and as of the Sig P320, easily replaced.

That said, the grippy-ness of the P30 and the Sig E2 grips, and to a lesser extent, the Gen4 frames, is where it's at for me.

Who gives a crap? With some sand paper and/or a soldering iron, you can make the grip into whatever you want. Add in a dremel, and you can undercut the trigger guard, remove finger grooves, etc.

If you're good. lol, I recommend practice on P-Mags first. I've messed up a frame or two. I've done great on one. I've bent kydex to make sheaths and mag holders as well with success.

But my days of taking a dremel to a firearm frame is over.

Remember, you can always take material off but you can't necessarily put material back on. Unless you're Boresight Solutions and you're a wizard like Ben. Epoxy, dremel, sanding, etc... Very careful when doing such things.

jr24

I don't think it's abrasive at all. Then again, people have told me my TRP is supposed to have very aggressive front strap checkering and it hurts they hands and I don't feel that either.

I agree, maybe hucking cargo around a warehouse everyday has toughened my hands or some such. I prefer aggressive grips on my 1911's.

I prefer the Gen 4 grip by a WHOLE lot, as I find the Gen 3 far to slippery in my hands.

I usually use Talon grips for my Gen 3s.

HistoryJunky

Sorry that I didn't respond. Work has been hectic. I really did think that the grip was abrasive. I do have callused hands but they get wet all day so are softer than I would like them.

It could just be that I am not used to any sort of grip abrasiveness. Every pistol I've owned except this one has had a somewhat slick grip. I'm sure after I dry fire it more and get some rounds through it my hands will get used to it.

I'm really trying to avoid modifying it in any way, but if I have to I guess sandpaper would be the safest bet.

TMD

You bought a tactical pistol that's designed to have a grip that not slippery in all wether conditions then complain about it. Funny