Gemini Customs SP101

MLeake

I saw a thread on TFL about one of these pistols, and decided I would like to have one. Looked up the website, and my desire grew more expensive, as I then decided I would also like a GP100. The GP is in work, but the SP arrived last week.

I did not opt for the hybraporting. I did opt for the following:

Basic tuning package;
Removal of warning label from left side of barrel;
Cut for moon clips;
Custom wood grips.

The pistol is beautiful. Bead blasted frame and barrel, mirror polished hammer, radiused trigger, carry beveled and chamfered cylinder... it really looks great. The grips are Bolivian rosewood, and are very nice both in look and feel. DA trigger is smooth, comparable to that on my S&W Model 13-3, but the SA is unbelievable - smooth, short, and light.

The grips, aesthetics aside, do just what Marc Morganti claims they will do - their shape and angle minimize perceived recoil. Magnum loads don't even sting in this SP. I did not like shooting Magnums in my previous pair of SP101s, which is one reason I no longer have either. This pistol is comfortable with Magnums, and feels like a toy with Specials.

The XS sight works well for quick acquisition in close. At 20+ yards, I was hitting low, so I will have to figure out the correct hold for that sight at a later time.

Between the grips and the XS sight, I noticed that it was easier to shoot for both speed and accuracy using one hand, instead of my normal Chapman. This is unique, in my experience, but none the less it's true - at least it is for me.

10 rounds of .38 158gr at 7 yards, RH unsupported:

IMAGE_22.jpeg

IMAGE_29.jpeg

IMAGE_30.jpeg

One negative thing I noted, and this is not a dig on Gemini Customs but on the implacability of geometry - moon clips may not be the best idea with .357 cases. The extractor throw is too short, so the cases don't clear the chambers, and the tension of the empty cases against the clip makes the last bit of removal a pain. I will have to load some .38 rounds in the clips, and see if they work better. Otherwise, this gun will be used with speed loaders or strips...

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Nice. The gun looks exceptional without the billboard lawyer speak on it on it. Looks like it shoots as good as it looks to.

smee78

I too have been on the Gemini site checking out there great custom work and just haven pulled the trigger yet on one. I think this will be done soon...

MLeake

Marc and his wife (Karen?) are very pleasant to deal with, but it's easier for Marc to communicate via email due to current volume of business.

He emailed photos of the SP101 prior to shipping, to verify that I was happy with what I could see.

He has also communicated with me about the GP100.

Marc seems to work in lots; he just finished a lot of SP101s (including mine), and is beginning on the GP100's lot. If your timing is good, you can get quick turnarounds, based on my experience and the experiences of others (that I read in reviews, while debating my purchase).

SAWBONES

Marc Morganti does very good work.
I've had him do three Ruger SP101s (all with Hybra-Porting) and a GP100 for me.

I agree that the moon clip mod (which I did with only one of the SP101s) wasn't as good an idea as I'd hoped it would be.

The particular bobbed-hammer SP101 2.25" barrel SP101 that I sometimes use for CCW will put five Buffalo Bore 158gr .357 JHPs into a single ragged hole at 7 yards.
IME the SP101s shoot to POA only with the 158gr .357 rounds; everything else shoots low.

KyJim

Mike, nice looking Ruger. I've been thinking of getting Gemini to do some work on a couple of Smiths I have,