Gas check .225 bullets ???

Does anyone cast .225 bullets for gas check applications? I would like to find out of the diameter of the bullet base (before installing the gas check) is close to the same as the heel diameter for .22 Long Rifle bullets.

gwpercle

From what I've read, .209" should be about right. Some of those might work -- thanks.
Work for what ?
I see the wheels in your mind just a turning ...
what ingenious devices are you coming up with ...
" close to the heel diameter of 22 LR bullet " ...
Whatca Planning to do ... sounds interesting !
Gary

akinswi

From his other post about converting Round nose 22lr into Hollow points , and now this post about gas checking 225 bullets, one may conclude he may be loading hollow point 223 ammo. Im suprised they dont make mold for that? Could be wrong tho

Shadow9mm

Casting hollow point bullets is harder than it appears. I tried it with a friends mold once, royal pain. I would think forming a hp after casting would yield a much easier and more uniform result.

gwpercle said:
Work for what ?
I see the wheels in your mind just a turning ...
what ingenious devices are you coming up with ...
" close to the heel diameter of 22 LR bullet " ...
Whatca Planning to do ... sounds interesting !
A recent thread rekindled my interest in loading/reloading .22 Long Rifle. It can be done, but there aren't a lot of choices out there for bullets. If the gas check tail is the right diameter to work as the heel for heeled bullets, that might open up more possibilities.

No, not doing .223. I have a bunch of XM193 for that.

rodfac

Aguila... I cast two Lyman .22 cal. bullets for use in my son's .218 Bee & my Sako Mannlicher L461 in .222 Magnum.

Lyman #225439 is a gas check round nose, weighs 46 gr cast from wheel weight alloy + 2% tin and water quenched (dropped directly from the mold into water). The base below the lowest driving band measures 0.210" and is not tapered. The 'as cast' body dia. is 0.227". I size & lube to 0.225" for the Bee.

Lyman's #225420 is a gas check flat nose, weighs 56 gr cast from the same wheel weight +2% tin alloy and water quenched. It measures at the base, 0.217" and is not tapered either. The 'as cast' body dia. is 0.225" and I size and lube to 0.225"

I use Hornady gas checks for both, and anneal them with a torch. This prevents the check from springing back after seating and I've found it more accurate. My son's gun is a Browning Model 65 in .218 Bee and is fitted with a Marbles Tang Peep. The Sako is superbly accurate with jacketed bullets, and does very well with cast too. Groups with the above Lyman bullets (carefully inspected and weighed) run less than 2" at 100 yds with a Leupold 2-7 scope mounted.

BTW, the Bee is equally accurate with or without the gas check, tho I limit the powder charge for plain base use.

I recently had a squib load with a Federal Auto-Match 40 gr. Round Nose, and luckily heard it through my ear muffs. I stopped, checked the bore and noticed it was blocked. The gun was a new to me Marlin 39 Centennial Limited with Micro-Groove rifling (a Mountie with an octagonal bbl.).

I used a piece of drill rod to tap the bullet out and found that it had lodged a cpl inches down the bore from the breach. Mic'ing the base just now, it's 0.209". But the body is too banged up for an accurate measurement . You could mic an unfired round for that I'd think.

Pic of Sako Mannlicher below.....HTH's Rod

Last edited:

gwpercle

A recent thread rekindled my interest in loading/reloading .22 Long Rifle. It can be done, but there aren't a lot of choices out there for bullets. If the gas check tail is the right diameter to work as the heel for heeled bullets, that might open up more possibilities.

No, not doing .223. I have a bunch of XM193 for that.
Have you looked at the dimensioned drawings of NOE #223-38-RN-CC1 HB bullet mould .
Description is .223" dia. , 38 grain , round nose , heeled base and ... one mould , a 2 cavity, aluminum , is available in a solid point design for $91.00 . It looks like a 22 LR bullet to me with the heel for loading in a 22 LR case .

The other moulds are 3 and 4 cavity with hollow and solid point pins are as usual "sold out" ...these moulds with sets of pins allow casting of solid and hollow points by changing pins
but one of the other HP moulds could be placed in Inventory Run ... they appear to be for casting 22 LR heeled bullets ... take a look and tell me what you think ...
NOE #223-38-RN-CC1-21 2 cavity Heeled Base ... www.noebulletmoulds.com
Gary