Garands & Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

hickok45

I think one aspect of "The Art of the Rifle" is to instill in our young people an appreciation for historical military rifles. While I like the AR-15s and we own a couple, my son much prefers to put on his Garand ammo belt and shoot the Garand, or the M1-A, M1 Carbine, and WWII vintage 1911.

How can you say no to a fourteen-year-old who is always asking to shoot the Garand or M1 Carbine !!

See attached:

Attachments

• jk-garand3.jpg
    jk-garand3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 393

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The larger question is WHY would somebody say "No."

Very good, sir. You teach him just why that rifle was important, and the knowledge of history will help him deal with the realities of the future.

Art

Glock40

My boy shot his first M1 Garand (off the bench) at 9 years old.

I immediately got him back on the 10/22 to cure the flinch he just developed as a result.

He loved it. How many 3rd graders fire an M1 Garand in California?

Last edited by a moderator:

AR Man

My son (12) just fired our new (used) M-1 Carbine yesterday. I know it is not a Garand but I am working on it.:D :D :D

hickok45

Thanks, fellows. Actually, the reason he prefers the WWII web gear and firearms IS the history. My father was at Utah Beach on D Day, and my father-in-law was in the Pacific Theatre (both recently deceased). My father talked about how fond he was of the Garand in basic training, although he carried the M1-Carbine and his 1911 in his duties as a amphibious DUK driver, delivering his fellow soldiers to the beach.

Like me, my son's particularly fond of WWII firearms that have obviously been carried. Our Garand, M1-Carbine, and USGI 1911 are all dated in the early '40s and have enough wear to conjure up all sorts of images. While it would be a most incredible coincidence, it's even possible that my father carried one of them. If only they could talk!

Sisco

Local club has a youth day at the range, lots of M1 carbines, Garands and just about anything else you'd care to shoot on hand.
First time I took my son he brought a friend. Sons friend had gone through a couple of mags in the carbine then switched to the Garand. He was kinda small, about 10 years old or so. Wish I had had the camera on his face when he pulled the trigger! Spun him about 1/4 way around the stool at the bench! He went back to the carbine.

M2HMGHB

If i ever get dis-ability the first thing im going to do is save up for
an M1 Garand. My biggest problem so far is that it's almost guarenteed you'll be rejected the first time (somewhere around 90% of the people are turned down the first time). My grandfather was a marine on a carrier, think an aircraft mechanic in he pacific, my step grandfater was a machine gunner over in Europe. Like the people said there's a lot of history in them thar rifles. Oh yeah i'd still take an M1 over any current "assault rifle"

1911Fencer

good for your son! I'm glad he likes the classics. I much preferred my M1 over my AR. In fact, I traded my AR for this M1 (and an Enfield)

rifle.bmp

Sisco

Found this pic of the day at the range, didn't translate too well from the scanner. No pics of Garands but one of the carbine.

Attachments

• aaroncarbine.jpg
    aaroncarbine.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.