Garands and Flyers Question

Dave P

Tried hard for accuracy this PM with loaded enblocs. Got a few 2" grps, but often with one flyer, about 4" out at 11:00.

I didn't see if it was the first or last rnd from the clip. Any suggestions? Does loading one ata time solve this?

And sight picture: can't seem to be consistent with 6:00 or center hold. Did better holding at bottom edge of paper. Any better ideas for old eyes?

PS: rnds that were neck sized only gave best accuracy. Lee collet die comes thru again! Just have to watch that headspace.

Jimmy Mac

There are several things that will cause flyers with a Garand. Is your upper handguard tight or loose?

Is the lower guard touching the reciever?

Gas cylinder loose?

Rear sight aperture loose?

It also could just be your sight picture or just a flinch you may not be aware of.

Also if you are shooting on a bench you can get different zeroes by holding the rifle differently each shot.

That is one reason so many good shooters go to prone with a sling. Same position and hold on the rifle each shot and just as steady as the bench.

markmcj

Semi-auto, steel and wood can be a bear to tune. One of the best sites on how to accurize the rifle can be found at www.fultonarmory.com
There are so many things to try and fix. Bedding, op rod movement, bolt lock up, gas cylinder, gas piston, crown of the barrel, and on and on. To me it's not really one that can be pinned down over the net. One step at a time, with lots of trigger time to sort it out.

mark mcj

Dave P

Jimmy:

Is your upper handguard tight or loose? loose, rattles

Is the lower guard touching the reciever? no, I shortened it.

Gas cylinder loose? just a hair, prolly needs more peening

Rear sight aperture loose? no

It also could just be your sight picture or just a flinch you may not be aware of. Definately working on sight picture!

Also if you are shooting on a bench you can get different zeroes by holding the rifle differently each shot. This is from a bench, with bags; I think hold is consistent.

Thanks
Dave

Jimmy Mac

Try single loading. It could make a difference.

Flyers do happen. It takes a very good shooter to keep them all in there.

Could be the shooter. Could be the rifle.

Even the best of the best have flyers.

moredes

If you're loading your own and using WLR's try BR-2's. Or even Fed210M's. I know, lots of guys complain that they're too soft, but I uniform the primer pockets down to .005" and haven't ever had a double (or slam fire, ever) since then with homegrown ammo.

I found that WLR's caused both bigger average groups, and an odd flier every once in a while. I eliminated the fliers with Fed210M's. These results were confirmed in two out of three of my rifles. Dunno if it makes a difference, but I don't have an M1. I got my results in an M1A and a Rem 700.