Garand trigger assy hard to latch..

1stmar

3 months ago I bought a 308 garand from cmp. I shot it regularly for a month and then out it away with the trigger assy in latched as I do w my other two garands. This past weekend I took it to the range to shoot it and I could not get the trigger assy to latch with the usual force. Ultimately had to lay the rifle upside down on the bench and lean on the assy w all my weight. It latched and shot fine. When i got home I took the assy out and tried to insert it into one of my other garands. Same problem. Then I took the assy out of one of the other rifles and it easy latched in the 308. I think I would have remembered this had it been this hard to latch. I called cmp they said file the stock or hit it with a rubber hammer. Not a fan of either recommendations. Both the 308 stock and the 06 stock from the other garand are new. However I don't think it's the stock since it follows the assy. Mostly concerned that I may be doing some damage but also curious if anyone has any other recommendations. Thought about leaving the assy latched but seems like that addressing the symptom not the cause.

Thanks

James K

Member In Memoriam
It sounds like the stock picked up some moisture while it was "out away". Keep the stock in a dry place for several months and see if it loses moisture, then oil it good so it doesn't pick up any more. If that doesn't work, you will have to remove some wood at the point where the floorplate sits.

(You can hurry the drying in several ways, but natural drying is best.)

Jim

1stmar

James keep in mind the Assyrian has the same issue in another stock and when I take another assy and put it in my 308 stock it fits nicely. I think it's an assy issue.

Orlando

It is a very common issue wiuth new commercial stocks. This comes up several times a week on the CMP forum

Different rifles lock up differently depepnding on the amount of wear to the trigger guard lugs or compressed wood

bamaranger

good thing

I'd heard that a tight latch up is a good thing, as essentially the trigger groupl locking into the reciever is about all that snugs the action/receiver into the stock.

Snugger fit, less slop, better accuracy???? I hear a glass bedded M1/M14 may need a mallet to be jarred from the stock, and that such a strip is discouraged.