Garand sling how to?

Destructo6

I just purchased a Turner's Saddlery National Match sling for my Garand and can't figure out the right way to attach it. It has two leather straps, one short with a double hook on one end and a d-ring on the other. The longer strap has two leather keepers, a double hook at only one end, and is going through the d-ring.

How do I do it? Does the short strap go through the front swivel and take one (or no) keeper or is it vice-versa?

Kernel

M1CoffeeLamRed.jpg

The little strap loops thru the (rear) butt swivel. The big straps loops thru the front swivel then back thru the D-ring on the little strap. The picture above is worth a 1000 words. Funny Turner doesn't include instructions. Chech out Lane's Tips Page and Culver's Talk Forum for more Garand stuff. -- Kernel

Destructo6

Thanks guys. After taking a look at the Fulton Armory page, along with their instructions, I figured it out pretty quickly. I would have never figured it out without them. This sling is a pretty complicated piece of gear which I'm looking forward to using.

For a good book on how to use the leather service rifle sling, I recommend the book by MSG Jim Owen, USMC, "Leather Slings and Shooting Positions."

Dillon Precision sells them or you can order it direct from MSG Owen. He's at:

3042 South 9th Place
Milwaukee, WI 53215
ph: 414-769-9862

The book is $11.95 + 1.95 p&p. He's also got two other books (Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques for $9.95 and Sight Alignment, Trigger Control and "The Big Lie" for $11.95. All three may be had for $34.90). These books are worth the money.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt