Garand misfeed

chris in va

I have a 1945 SA Garand from the CMP. Typically it feeds/fires my reloads just fine, but I had a rather disturbing jam the other day.

In a nutshell the round jammed with a severe pinch halfway down the case. It was bent at about a 15 degree angle. Last year I had a similar stoppage but the case neck got pinched and the bullet was badly mangled.

Any idea what would cause this? Maybe it's just a Garand thing, but just checking.

sgms

I would look at the clip you were using as a first step also. Almost willing to bet a different one will stop the problem.

JR_Roosa

I must have a clip somewhere that does this on rapid fire stages in matches, I think. I've had about three jams like this, but not too badly mangled (I cycled the bolt and finished the stage each time). It never occurred to me that the clip was the culprit, but next time I'll toss the clip.

I always thought it was some kind of short-stroking.

-J.

10-96

It very well could be a touch of short stroking. If your reloads are at the low end of what the rifles need to digest- that could be a culprit. Or, that combined with the first signs of wear on the op-rod piston area could be bleeding off a little bit too much gas.

But try the cheapest fix first and try to identify the bad clip. Don't just toss it, bend it all up or run over it please. No sense in letting someone else get ahold of it and go through the same head scratching as you are.

chris in va

Thanks for the advice, could very well be the clips. They're just some I got at a gun show a while back.

Using 47gr of 4895 and a 150gr bullet, so probably not that.