Garand marked "Trademark"?

Bosshoff

Does anyone know of why a M1 Garand would be marked "Trademark" on the heel? My brother received two Garands from his father in law. Both of them are really worn int the heel area. The serial numbers are ledgible, but the manufacturers are very faint. One is a Winchester, the other appears to be a Springfield. The Winchester is marked "Trademark". What is this? I have not seen the rifles yet, and all this info is second hand from my brother. I am wondering if these rifles are commercial, or de-milled re-welds or something odd? Thanks.

Bosshoff

I finally got a quick look at the two Garands my brother received. Some company back in the day polished the receivers and blued them a nic purpleish color.:barf: These are pretty much field grade rifles. I did not do a close examination to see which parts are made by whom. Is it worth it to have the receivers "restored" by sandblasting, re-lettering in the original fonts, and then parkerizing? Who does this sort of work on Garands? I know Turnbull and Adair do it on 1911's, who specializes on Garands? Remember, he currently has no $ into these two rifles, and they look terrible.

Dave P

Is it worth it to have the receivers "restored"

Doesn't sound like it. Sell them as is, and get a nice one from the CMP for $600.

TEDDY

garand

there not collector grade now.if YOU wanted to remark and parkerize to make them look good to you why not.but not to restore persay.and matching woud only apply to like new.to restore to factory would be fraud.most M1s have mixed parts done to bring them to service use.:rolleyes::eek::D.

Bosshoff

I think I just figured out why the receivers were screwed with. Can you say "re-welds"? This just sucks. The only good thing is that they were free. So where can I get a replacement receiver from? CMP only has abused barrelled actions. Does anyone sell new receivers? Thanks.

Bosshoff

Update

I just received two barrelled actions from the CMP. They are the least expensive ones they offer ($100.00 each) They are not in bad condition. They have some imperfections (rust) blemishes in some spots, but are solid. I am going to have to get these to my M1 gunsmith to have him check the headspace and muzzle erosion on them. I plan on assembling a couple of "shooters" out of these. I will have him beadblast and re-parkerize them, installing new barrels if necessary.