Garand help, please

DE Shooter

Looking at a Winchester and a Springfield rcvr Garand, alot of other parts are good too. The barrels have crowns...and 1956-58 numbers...I think... and the seller says he has papers that prove Danish service then back to USA. Sound OK for...what...$400, $500 or more?

kraigwy

It's hard to say without looking at them. 4-500 sounds like a fair price if they are any good.

Remember CMP sells Garands starting at about $495. The thing about CMP Garands is they are gone over by armorers before they are put up for sale and you know they work. If something goes wrong, you wont find any better Customer Service.

Is the recent throat and muzzle erosion (TE/ME) measured and documented?

Is that price range what you want to offer, or approx. what the seller has stated?

DE Shooter

Thanks for the responses. My post was misleading. The crown on the barrel was a stamped crown with some numbers after. The owner said it was probably a Danish arsenal mark. The rifles having gone from USA gov to Danish gov and now back to USA with appropriate US/Danish paperwork, which he says go with the rifles. Other than the crown stamp on the barrels, everything looks appropriate. Anyone else ever see the "Danish" return rifles?

HorseSoldier

Sounds right on the barrel being Danish. One of my CMP Garands had a Danish barrel also -- crown stamp and VAR marking with a year stamp and assorted other numbers.

buymore

The Danish VAR barrels are known for their accuracy, but you need to measure the ME (Muzzle Erosion) and TE (Throat Erosion) If I was looking for a good shooter, I would look for ME under 2.0 and TE under 4.0 I just sold a Danish return with a 1960 VAR bbl ME just over a 1.0 and TE was under 3.0 It came with a as NEW Danish Bayo/scabbard and a Danish Khaki sling. I sold it for $650 and made a little $$ on it. Had I not needed to sell it that day to buy my 1903A3 I found, I would have asked around $750 for the combo. If you can get a Garand with ME under 2.0 and TE under 4.0 for $400-$500 you better grab it, parts can be swapped for that much money!

kraigwy

They have gages to check the muzzle wear. Though they may be pricy for "one' rifle.

A trick us old cheapies use is to take a M-2 loaded round. (the one with the 149 grn bullet).

Stick the bullet end, into the muzzle. If it goes in all the way to the rim the barrel is shot. If it goes in to where its 1/16 from the mouth of the case, you have 1/4 barrel life left. 1/8th, in from the mouth of the case, you have 1/2 of barrel life left, 1/16, you have 3/4 barrel life left. !/4 should be a new barrel.

This is a ruff estiment of the muzzle end and gives you a guide if you dont have gages. It wont tell you about throat erosion.

The thing about these old military gas guns. They were cleaned from the muzzle end with jointed cleaning rods. More were cleaned to death then shot to death.

Of course no method of testing a Garand, or any other rifle beats a good old fashion "shootin' test".

buymore

I agree that a lot of them did. Mine had a USGI replacement stock on it. If Danish furniture, it should have either a metal disc in it or a spot where the metal disc once was. It should also have a rack number stamped into the stock. I think most I have seen were Beech.

HorseSoldier

Hmmm -- didn't know the Danes did the brass disk thing like the Swedes did . . but my sample is just the one I have which must have USGI wood on it (though any proof marks are long gone as far as I can tell).

buymore

All of the discs I've seen are in the pistol grip cap area....like where the gun makers put the little cap on the bottom of the pistol grip. Not sure if it's brass, just know it's metal and most are missing.