Garand failure to release trigger--fires when pressure is released

condor bravo

With first clip after several weeks of inaction, excessive trigger pressure failed to move trigger rearward. After releasing pressure, round fired on its own. Next 7 rounds were OK. Same thing happened with 2nd clip. With 3rd clip, the first three rounds failed to move trigger but fired after releasing trigger pressure. Last 5 rounds were OK. Didn't try any more after that. Gun smith or easy home remedy and what is causing the hangup? It's sort of like a release trigger on a shotgun except the trigger does not move rearward to set itself.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The first thing to check is to make sure there is no stock interference with the trigger, a common problem when a stock has been replaced (especially with a non-GI stock). Check trigger release (no ammo!) with stock off.

Jim

condor bravo

Yes I did check the trigger release with the stock off, checked the trigger group, and everything seemed to be OK. Then put together 8 dummy rounds of same configuration as live rounds and cycled and dry fired them through several times and everything was at it should be. So maybe the unusual glitch has cured itself. As yet to try it live fire.

T. O'Heir

"...After releasing pressure, round fired on its own..." Don't shoot the thing until you get it fixed.
You have TM-9-1275? http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/ (note the need for the provided UN & PW) Section 6. There's an exploded drawing of the trigger group right at the top. Fig 61.
Has the thing been doing this as long as you've owned it? If not, what has been done to it recently?
Has the trigger group been disassembled recently?

condor bravo

Just started last time out; previously has been good. Nothing has been done to the rifle other than just examining the trigger group after the incident. As a test, probably tomorrow, will load 7 blanks with a live round on top just to have better control if it acts up again.

dahermit

Garand parts wear out...most Garands have been Arsenal rebuilt at least once. When I was shooting my Garand in local club Service Rifle competitions, my piece began to double. Back in those days, Gun Shows had piles of surplus Garand parts and I swapped-out that stange two-sided Garand sear, which solved the problem. It sounds to me, that after checking the things posted above, if it does not fix the problem, you may need a new sear. Pull the trigger group out and see how it works...and what is happening to the sear when you pull the trigger.

About the same time my clip release/retainer stopped retaining the clips (dumped live rounds when cycling)...a swap-out fixed that too.

The upside of your problem with your Garand is that the whole trigger group can be examined for function outside of the rifle. Just do not let the hammer slam down without support. And, if I remember correctly (it has been about ten years or so), it was difficult to re-cock the hammer.

Last edited:

condor bravo

Well it did the same thing today. First test round was fine but then three occurances out of the next clip of eight so it's off to the Gunsmith.

condor bravo

Yes, the first two times it was the first round in the clip that did not fire properly. Then fired after releasing pressure on trigger. The next seven did fire properly. Today the first round fired that was loaded with seven dummy rounds just in case it decided to go fully auto. Then with a full live round clip, three rounds did not fire until releasing trigger pressure, but I think the first one did fire properly. Today for the first time I noticed that you could actually hear or "feel" some grinding when manipulating the trigger. So it looks like a trigger/sear malfunction. This rifle is one of three Garands that I rotate after two or three outings so at least not out in the cold while waiting for repair.

Last edited: