Garand clip loading?

John D

Just bought my new Garand....in .30-06, of course!

Is there a secret to loading the enbloc clips? I seem to have a great deal of difficulty snapping the rounds into place. Help!!

Tim R

It's not easy no matter how you do it until you get some time doing it under your belt. I always place the first round to the left in the bottom and try to hold it there while I put 6 more in which will give me 7. With 7 you have a little room to move around and not have everything fall back out, unless you hold it upside down. The last one will be at the top and on the right with the pointy ends pointing away from you. It takes a little work but it will fit in there. The biggest problem is getting all the cartridges bottomed out in the clip....Gi's used to beat their clips (pointy ends first) against the pistol grip area to make sure all the rounds were seated all the way down. If you have a stock that looks like a wood pecker had his way with it, you now know why. Biggest problem is 8 rounds just don't last long enough, but I'll take an M-1 over awhole lot of others as reloading one just ain't no problem. :D