GAP frames and slides

Dashunde

I just noticed that the G39 seems to be the same basic gun as the G26/27/33.
The GAP and the ACP have about the same ballistics, right?
Aside from the G36, all of the 45ACP's run the thicker 1.28" slide, is that for recoil absorption or just thicker for capacity?

AndyWest

I never really understood the 45 GAP... IIRC it was an attempt to shorten the casing but I don't see how that's an issue. The 357sig made more sense.

Mercenary

The 45 GAP was designed to shorten the length of a 45 ACP so as to have it fit in smaller framed handguns that the 9mm and 40 S&W are found in. Ballistics are similar from what I've read, however 45 GAP ammo is much harder to come by than 45 ACP.

Here's a great video comparison of the 45 GAP and 45 ACP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGshC0ab5dQ

Officer's Match

They are my favorite Glocks by far. You really have to shoot one to know what I'm talking about. Especially the G38, perfect balance.

Oh, and I've had no problem at all finding ammo, even when the post-Obama shortages made other's' difficult.

Modern powders have made reducing the size of the case easy, without sacrificing ballistics. What that means is that the .45acp case doesn't NEED to be as large as it is to achieve the same ballisitics. This gives shooters a choice of going standard with .45acp, for ammo sake, or getting similar (if not EXACTLY the same) ballistics from the smaller GAP guns. Not for everyone, but as mentioned above, the handling and concealment qualities of a scaled down .45 seems to be the big advantage.

Dashunde

Too bad it didnt take off, seems like a great package, if its shootable.
The kick of my G27 is very tolerable, but I wouldnt want much more for follow-ups.

voyager4520

The G37, G38, and G39 use the exact same frames used for the same size 9/40/357 models. The only differences are the ejector, trigger bar, and slide stop.

They even use the same guide rod assemblies.

I'd probably buy a GAP model if they'd made the slides thinner. The GAP cartridge solved a problem that only Glock pistols had, the size of the .45ACP frames. Since the grip on the .45ACP frames isn't a problem for me I'd rather just go with the more common cartridge.

jmr40

The GAP rounds are loaded to +P pressures to equal standard pressure 45 ACP loads. When 45 ACP rounds are loaded to +P pressures the 45 ACP is considerably more powerful.

It was an attempt to offer 45 in a smaller frame. Now that Glock is offering the 45 ACP guns in their "Short Frame" guns, there is no reason to bother with the GAP version.

Even though the frames are smaller on the GAP versions, The slide on the GAP pistols is just as wide as the 45 ACP guns.

Dashunde

The slide on the GAP pistols is just as wide as the 45 ACP guns.

The G26/27/33 and G39 GAP are all listed as 1.18 inch thick.
The ACP's (except for the 36) are listed as 1.28 inch thick.

It may not seem like .1" is much, but it sure looks and feels like it in person.
That portly 1.18" is bad enough, let alone adding that extra .1".

On a side note...
I've had a big hankering for the 10mm G29, but its too darn fat for running just that .40 round.
I've always wondered why the G36 didnt also come in 10mm - seems like 7+1 would be doable, maybe even without the fat can on the end of the magazine - what a package that would be!

Last edited:

Officer's Match

Too bad it didnt take off, seems like a great package, if its shootable.
The kick of my G27 is very tolerable, but I wouldnt want much more for follow-ups.

The G39 has quite a bit less recoil than the G27 - I've ccw'd both. The 39 is considerably more fun to shoot, in fact my favorite babyGlock.

Dashunde

My G27 across the slide stop. 1.18"
attachment.php

Attachments

• G27_width.jpg
    G27_width.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 38

Hairbag

45 Gap

I have a Glock 38 GAP. The 45 GAP is very very accurate. Try one out if you can.

Last edited: