Galling with later made Stainless

Dobe

I am curious, galling was once a big issue with stainless steel autos. Among you high volume shooters, have any of you had this problem?

oldcspsarge

The finish and alloy of today's stainless has better wear characteristics that early guns BUT they also rust .

A slight application of Militec will solve any stainless lubrication issues.
www.militec1.com for more info.

There really is no advantage to today's stainless steel firearms unless you like the color. The marine grade stainless used in the early S&W revolvers was tough and would not hold a magnet like today's versions.....and was very hard on machine tools to make them.

Hard chrome is a better choice for a silver look.....or go with a carbon steel gun with one of today's high tech coatings....solved both rust and lubrication issues.

Dobe

There really is no advantage to today's stainless steel firearms unless you like the color.

Sometimes, that's all you can find.

Any way. I would still like to hear from those who shoot their stainless autos a lot.

Dfariswheel

Galling of stainless is no longer a problem.

The trouble was mostly limited to the early "clone" copies of the 1911 made from castings.
Makers like Vega, Crown City, and early AMT and Essex were the guns that galled.
By the time Colt and S&W got into stainless steel, they'd solved the problems by making slides and frames from different alloys and heat treating.

I know of several old customers who have stainless Colt's with over 20,000 rounds with no galling. One has significantly more than that, but has no idea of how many.

paladin-34

Had a S&W 659 that the slide got really loose by 3500 rnds, ended up with a new frame. The gun smith said to use grease on the slide of SS guns. I have a SS Ruger with 2.5k rounds through it been greased since day one and is nice and tight.

Joe