Galil vs. M16

APSAC

In watching so much from the West Bank over the past few months I wonder where all the Galil rifles are? All I see are M16's. Anyone have any idea why they don't seem to be used? I thought the Galil was for the frontline troops and the M16's were more for rear echelon.

Badger Arms

Actually, it is the other way around and has been for a while. The Galil is just fine if you don't plan on going very far. They made it VERY heavy and it's not as accurate as the M-16. Times have changed. Instead of facing hordes of invading arab armies where they would rather have the reliability and durability of the Galil, the Israeli's are now facing cowards and punk kids with bombs strapped to their bellies. The M-16 is lighter and more accurate and therefore more suitable for policing duties.

This Link explains the current status of the Galil vs. M16

For the record, I disagree. When the s%*$ hits the fan as it might any day now, foot-soldiers will be more satisfied with a 10 pound gun that works instead of a 7 pound gun that doesn't. Unfortunately, many will not realize this until it's too late. Then again, maybe not. Remains to be seen. The M-16 has been fielded for over a decade in desert conditions. If problems are still unidentified, I'd be surprised. So long as they follow all the proper precautions it should be fine.

I think the precautions are:
1) Duct tape the bottom of the magazine
2) Always close the ejection port
3) Always keep a round in the chamber
4) Always keep a magazine in the Mag Well.

With all the stories I hear about nylons, I have yet to see an Israeli gun with any nylons on it. Same thing with a muzzle cover or condom. It appears that standard carry is with muzzle down. See the picture below to understand why it's ESSENTIAL to protect the gun in this manner.
M4A2.jpg

APSAC

Thanks for the info. Badger arms, that's a great website. I didn't realize I was so far behind in my knowledge. I better get on it.

Normalizer

I own both, or variants thereof....

Colt HBAR Match Target
Galil ARM

I realize my Colt is more than a little different than a military issue M-16 but it's still given me some limited insight.

The Colt is lighter and more accurate, the Galil is more capable of light machinegun ops and is far more durable and less prone to problems.