Galco DAO or Simply Rugged...?

Stargazer

Fixing to get a new Ruger RedHawk 4" 45 Colt. Anyone have either of these holsters for this revolver? The Galco looks open at the end and the SR looks closed? Are either one of them actually sealed/closed at the bottom? The SR Sourdough holster has my attention, seems very well made and rugged as the name says.

MLeake

I don't have a Redhawk, but I do have a S&W M29-8

And for that, I use a SimplyRugged pancake. It works very well. Compared to other holsters, it's a bit longer from front edge to back edge, but if you are into boats or airplanes and understand streamlining, then you will know the longer contour actually hides better under a cover garment.

I prefer open holsters, as they don't trap moisture next to the gun. I don't have any closed-bottom holsters; all of mine are either fully open at the bottom, or at a minimum have drain holes.

ChiefTJS

When I had my 4" Redhawk I had a Simply Rugged holster for it and loved it. I have Simply Rugged holsters for all my using guns and swear by them.

dairycreek

RUGERSCENIC.jpg

I have a Simply Rugged for my 5.5" Redhawk (pic) and a DAO for my 4" Redhawk (sorry no pics as yet) and IMHO the Simply Rugged is much the better holster.

win-lose

I have a SR for my 4" redhawk. It's a great holster. Be sure to get the inside-out strap option to allow use as a iwb as well as owb.

win-lose

Did you have to go an extra waistband size up?

My pants are generally a little loose in the waist, plus my belly and love handles have a lot of give to them :D

Carrying the redhawk iwb, it would completely disappear with normal attire. I just can't take the barrel digging into me for very long ( a few hours, then I'm done).

Last edited:

MLeake

I was thinking more in terms of the cylinder...

... which is why my GP100 and 29-8 are OWB only, for me.

win-lose

I was thinking more in terms of the cylinder...

I don't really have a problem with the cylinder. The SR holster is wide enough where it is a gradual increase and not a sudden bulge. Also, the holster can let the gun's cylinder ride above the belt line, if so desired.