Gain twist?

Jeff Thomas

Spoke to a fellow the other day who said he once worked for a company in Flagstaff, AZ (sorry, but I've forgotten the name) that produced unusual rifles.

Their barrels would start off with 1 in 14 twist at the breech, and increase to, say, 1 in 9 twist towards the muzzle. He said this increased bullet speed and accuracy.

Anyone else know about this? Since it seems rare, if not nearly nonexistent, it's a bit hard to believe that it works.

Thanks. Regards from AZ

Gain twist was popular in some black powder shooters late in the 19th and early in the 20th century. It really hasn't gone away and is still used by some muzzleloaders today. If you ever get your hands on Ned Robert's, The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle it'll tell you how the rifling was accomplished.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is still provided by some regular barrel makers on special order. The problem with jacketed bullets is that it causes skidding and fouling. Still, some claim superior accuracy.

All the old Colt percussion revolvers were gain twist, one of the ways to tell an original from a faked up reproduction.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited March 30, 2000).]

jcoyoung

IIRC, some of the big bore military stuff has gain twist. Ahh, I just remembered where I read about it. It was mentioned in Unintended Consequences when the FBI guy was told about the difference between the 20mm drive band recovered from the helo wreck and a modern 20mm gun. The modern 20mm guns have gain twist, where the old 20mm guns (Henry's Soluthurn) just has the plain ol' normal twist.

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
JEFF:
If my memory serves, the Italian Carcano has the gain twist. This is a WWII rifle, used in the Kennedy assination.

HJN