G29 vs G32 as "do everything" semi-auto

Lohman446

Let's see if I can open this can of worms.

I have taken to carrying a G19. Its a nice size handgun that fits well as a concealed handgun. However when I am going out in the woods I tend to carry a G29. Dimensionally its remarkably similar to a G19.

In another thread it was touched on the .357 SIG may be an acceptable "outdoors" round when properly loaded.

In the G29 I carry the Underwood extreme penetrator when hiking. 140 grain round lauched at 1500 FPS (about 700 ft lbs of energy)

The 357 SIG equivalent shows a 115 grain round launched at 1450 FPS (about 537 ft lbs of energy)

I did not find the test barrel specifications but I am going to assume that the G29 loses a bit off of the stated velocity and the G32 loses a bit less. When attempting to stop dangerous game with a handgun penetration is key as you really don't have enough gun with either the 10MM or 357SIG. Your hoping for penetration and a "lucky" hit.

So the G32 should do everything the G19 does in the urban environment while still giving as much penetration as the G29 in the woods.

The difference between the .357 SIG and 9MM only shines, IMO, where the velocity matters. Rounds made specifically to penetrate would qualify.

agtman

Or, just get the G29, and then an aftermarket drop-in barrel in .357Sig.

Now you've got one gun that shoots both cartridges.

If you want to play with a "9mm" cartridge that puts the .357Sig to shame, pick up an aftermarket 9x25 Dillon tube too. One gun; three cartridges.

Loud-n-fast bugger, that Dillon.

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

On paper, the lighter bullet at higher velocity looks almost as good, but for woods carry, heavier weights for penetration are better. I use the 180 grain as a minimum for woods carry in both my .357 and now my .40.

I once saw a video gel test on youtube showing the penetration difference between a very hot 125 grain magnum and a much slower 158 grain magnum, and the heavier bullet penetrated much further. I'll see if I can dig that up for you.

Ruger45LC

Everyone is different, but I don't like the size of the 29/30 at all. Yes in a way it's similar to the 19/23/32 but it's much fatter and to me at least, feels very fat and stumpy. For that reason alone I would pick the 32, but also don't overlook the .40 S&W....bigger hole plus heavier bulllets. You can get loads that run 200gr over 1000 fps (best bullet design is the doubletap 200gr WFNGC). It will penetrate through a LOT. I've handloaded that same 200gr WFNCG from a Glock 23 with 4" KKM barrel to over 1150 fps, which is rocking for a .40.

BTW comparing warm handloads for both .40 and 10mm, the G29 only bests the G23 by roughly 75-100 fps. Of course you can get a 357 SIG bbl for a .40 if you want both. The 357 SIG is a beast if handloaded, but even still the .40 pokes bigger holes. Personally, I would say that the G23 is about as perfect of a do-it-all gun as you could have, great "social" self defense ammo and it can be loaded to where it'll punch hole through a lot of big animals, wit the right bullet.

I'll add this, if it's actually dangerous game that you intend to defend yourself from, you might want a something like a .44 Mag. It depends on the wildlife in your area, but even in the woods, your biggest threat may be of the two legged variety.

Last edited:

JERRYS.

get the G29. the off the shelf ammo from the big 3 is so watered down its just about .40 cal power if you're concerned with "urban carry". you can by the magnumesk ammo on-line or handload it.

jmr40

Phil Shoemaker killed a large male brown bear last August with a 9mm loaded with 147 gr Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets after it attacked a fisherman he was guiding.

Shoemaker is a regular poster on other forums and had done a lot of testing prior to this incident, he felt confident enough to leave his 44 mag at home. He has been guiding bear hunters and fishermen for about 40 years. He's killed, and seen a lot of big bear killed so he knows his stuff. I'd imagine the same load from a 357 Sig wouldn't do any worse.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

On the other hand I personally have more confidence in a hot loaded 10mm. I carry DoubleTap 200 gr hardcast at about 1250-1300 fps from a G29 or G20. That load has proven that it will also stop big bear and I've seen video of a hunter taking a Cape Buffalo with that load.

Either way, as an outdoor load for larger animal protection you want heavy for caliber. I keep the 200 gr loads in my G29 when in bear country, but change to a magazine loaded with 155 gr ammo at around 1400 fps for 2 legged threats.

Josh17

According to Glock’s website the 357 sig is carried by rural law enforcement or park rangers often due to it’s firepower...

A 9mm xtreme penetrator round could drop a bear (like the post above mentioned) so a 357 Sig, especially in the xtreme penetrator should be plenty sufficient for woods carry. IMO.

Glock’s exact quote from their website :
“Many agencies have already equipped their officers with this high-powered semi-automatic pistol, especially those in national parks and rural areas. The advantages of the .357 G32 become particularly decisive when deployed in the kind of open countryside these officers are patrolling”

Last edited:

Hammerhead

I had the 29 and thought it was an excellent all around handgun. Plus when it comes to critters, bigger & heavier bullets for me.
I had a KKM .40 conversion barrel that made for cheap practice, super accurate and soft recoiling.
G-29 all day and twice on Sunday.

hagar

The 357 SIG round is much more accurate than the 40S&W, and it will stay accurate much further. I had 2 SIG P229's, one in 357, the other in 40, and I did extensive comparisons between them back in the mid 90's. I'd pick the 357 any day over a 40.

CastleBravo

I'll be honest, I like 10mm from bigass guns more than anything. More barrel means more velocity, and I like that big bang to happen further away from me! :p