G26 or G27?

Dashunde

I've been hankering for a G26 for awhile now, but I just noticed that the G27 carries 9+1 rounds compared to the 26's 10+1, well thats only one round and it got me to thinking/wondering...

How do they shoot side-by-side? Is the 27 as controllable as the 26?
Is the .40 noteably more effective compared to the 9mm , is it worth giving up a round? (standard pressures, no +P)

ghost556

no its not THAT much more effective...9mm is not the same as it was 30 years ago when it started to be adopted. 9mm is much more effective now,go with 9mm its cheaper and you can practice more. shot placement is more important than caliber

Trigger Finger

From what I have read and seen the 40 caliber is about 30% more powerful than the 9mm. That's a pretty good difference, enough to change the course in a gunfight, IMHO.
I also seem to recall a stock G26 mag that holds 11 rounds! I still think two additional rounds would not sway me away from a 40. I have a G27 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and it works great.
Bottom line is stick with what you shoot best and practice. I can handle the 40 fine and I prefer the additional power. I don't let a little extra cost prevent me from a little extra protection! :)

LanceOregon

Storm Lake also makes excellent conversion barrels to convert the G27 to 9mm All you then do is swap out the barrel, and switch to using a 9mm magazine in the gun, and you can then shoot both .40 S&W and 9mm out of the same gun.

One can even buy a .357 Sig barrel, too, and then be able to shoot that caliber out of the same gun as well.

So with just a single gun, you can then shoot 3 different calibers.

threegun

The 26 and 27 are both wonderful guns. The recoil is markable snappier on the 27 making it slightly more difficult to shoot well.

IMO the difference in power is NOT worth the increased recoil since shot placement is vital with most any handgun caliber. Experts will tell you that shot placement trumps caliber as long as both cartridges can effectively reach the vitals. Followups are easier with the 9mm also further dooming the 40.

Something that aided me in choosing was actually a question posed by Microgunner to me at work one day. He asked if I thought that a bad guy shot between the nipples would be able to tell if he was hit with a 9mm or a 40.

Also we had a member tell his shootout encounter were he killed two home invaders with a shotgun but in the exchange he himself was hit by a 40S&W in the chest. He didn't know he was hit until his wife found blood. It almost killed him (he woke up in the hospital bed) but not before he eliminated two would be killers and half his home electronics, bathroom tile, etc.

Nasty

I chose the 27 and then added the 9/357/22...usually carry in 40, but nice to be able to change to whatever ammo was available. The 22 makes for fun cheap plinking.

bearone2

i just picked up a 27/ns/3 mags plus the lonewolf conversion bbl with 3 glock mags for the best of both worlds.:cool:

CDW4ME

I compared my 26 & 27 for speed of 2nd shot using a timer. The 4 x 6" target was 6 yards away; both shots had to hit the 4 x 6" (10 ring on a B27) for the time to count. After several runs, there wasn't any real difference in the average time between the two.

I WAS using +P+ 127 gr. in the 26 because that's what I would carry.
The 27 was loaded with 165 gr. full power loads.

The 27 does produce more recoil than the 26, but it didn't seem that bad and the timer confirmed.

Glock 26 with 127 gr. +P+ Ranger T: 1,182 fps / 394# KE / 150 power factor
Glock 27 with 165 gr. Ranger T: 1,071 fps / 420# KE / 177 power factor

I'm carrying the 27, but would be just as happy packing the 26 loaded with the +P+. I went with the 27 (bigger bullet) since it was just as quick & accurate in my timer comparison test.

ET.

I own a G27. I shoot 9mm thru it with the Lone Wolf conversion barrel also. I tend to think that the 40s&w is definitely a more powerful round. The recoil alone tells me that. I also bought a Storm Lake 357sig barrel for it and that round is very potent also. I tend to like shooting all three rounds personally. The 9mm with less recoil will usually be the more accurate round unless you practice, practice, practice.

jglsprings

I've got a 27, shoot 9mm and 357 Sig through it. Very flexible.

You need to buy the G27 to be able to use a conversion 9mm barrel (use 9mm magazines) and "standard" 357 Sig barrel (use the 40 magazines).

From what I have read and seen the 40 caliber is about 30% more powerful than the 9mm. That's a pretty good difference, enough to change the course in a gunfight, IMHO.

From Balistic tables I have seen there is not a 30% difference between the 2.

9mm has roughly between 330 and 500 lb/ft of energy depending on the bullet weight/speed.

.40 has roughly between 300 and 600 lb/ft of energy depending on bullet weight/speed.
100 lb/ft between the 2 does not translate into 30%. It's more like around 17% difference. 17% is not that great of a margin. Both will stop a man cold with a central nervous system shot. As others have said, shot placement is more crucial than anything...

Trigger Finger

"From Balistic tables I have seen there is not a 30% difference between the 2.

9mm has roughly between 330 and 500 lb/ft of energy depending on the bullet weight/speed.

.40 has roughly between 300 and 600 lb/ft of energy depending on bullet weight/speed.
100 lb/ft between the 2 does not translate into 30%. It's more like around 17% difference. 17% is not that great of a margin. Both will stop a man cold with a central nervous system shot. As others have said, shot placement is more crucial than anything.."

You give the 9mm a great deal of credit. I think the 9 has roughly 400 lb/ft of energy and the 40 has about 500 lb/ft. This translates into about 25% more power for the 40. It all depends on the load of each caliber. +P+ for the 9 and +P for the 40.
I do agree that shot placement is crucial! The bottom line is carry the most powerful round you can shoot. Especially if both are in the exact same size package. :D

Deaf Smith

Got 'em both.

Either one will do the deed.

The 9mm you can get an AACK .22 and have a two-in-one.

BUT

Get the 27 and you can have a FOUR-IN-ONE!

Yep, four guns in one.

AACK .22 unit and AACK .22 mags make it a .22 lr (I have one of these!)
Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and 9mm mags make it a 9mm.
OEM Glock .357 Sig barrel makes it a .357 Sig.
And, of course, it's in .40 S&W!

Deaf

Dashunde

Wow.. fantastic info guys :) A G27 it'll be.

Question... for those who also have a LCP... how does the G27 shooting .40 feel compared to the little 380's?

Any spring changes when running a 27 in 9mm?
(I havent caught that little detail anywhere yet)