G21 light strikes

nadrepadre

Have a Leo trade in 3rd gen g21. Consistent light strikes. Replaced firing pin spring with factory glock one and also wolf 6 lb. I find that I can take these slightly dimpled rounds and re-feed them and they still don't fire. I think my pin is the wrong size and not going forward far enough. The pin has absolutely no markings. This is with all sorts of ammo.

olFxG8hb.jpg

66zp9Ivb.jpg

GPjg5bUb.jpg

ge6md9Nb.jpg

Last edited:
Clear it and put a pencil or pen with a flat back in there, make sure it's in the center. Dry fire it. The pen should shoot way up high.

If not, give Glock a call. There were issues with firing pins being chipped on the front end just enough to do what you're describing. It doesn't appear so in your case though.

Edit to add, what kind of ammo are you using by the way? Not that it should really matter. As I feel all defense guns should shoot any kind of primer it comes across. But there are some that harder than others.

L-2

I've never tried a 9mm Glock firing pin in a G21. The current Glock firing pins for a .45 should be marked with THREE notches.

DPI7800

Question for you, are,the light strikes slightly off center on the primer? If so the problem is the slide lock spring. Even with a chipped striker the gun will still detonate a primer reliably.

P71pilot

The pencil trick really isn't valid, I just tried launching a round type pencil with white rubber eraser and it just barely didn't clear the barrel in my 1911, and hardly moved at all when dry fired my brand new Walther ppq .40

And yes both were held perfectly vertical

If you replaced the striker spring and it still light strikes, maybe something is catching on the striker or sear and causing enough friction to slow the striker down. There may be a burr or build of gunk somewhere hidden? I don't know glocks very well owned a gen3 model 20 for about a year

9x45

OP, light strikes are caused by weak firing pin springs, or debris/excessive oil in the firing pin bore and spot face. Remove the slide and clean the bore with medical Q tips, blow it out with air from the back and also thru the weep hole. Measure you firing pin for length. A G21 firing pin should be 2.350" overall. A G17 pin is on top and much shorter.

Glocks don't have sears, and I've never seen on off center strike on any Glock in 24 years of using them in competition. The slide lock spring only keeps the slide on the gun. Remove the spring and chamber a dummy round, it will go in, but the entire slide will come off the gun.

image37246.jpg

bamaranger

what about?

Any chance this is an after market barrel, and there is a headspace/chamber problem?

Or...could a bone headed LEO dorked with the chamber,.....mechanically polishing it or something down that line??

My first thought after reading that the firing pin and spring were swapped out for new, was that it was an ammo problem, excessive crimp. When I read further "all sorts of ammo", I began thinking barrel.

nadrepadre

I made sure the firing pin channel was spotless and bone dry. Everything slides around perfectly. Its definitely the .45 pin as it says 4557 on the back of it. It also has a ghost connector. Will that cause issues?

Sarge

A high percentage of failure to fire with Glocks is due to someone having had their fingers in them, usually in a quest for a "perfect trigger". If it were my pistol I would replace the channel liner, the complete firing pin assembly with springs, the firing pin safety and spring. I would also check the connector and if it were not obviously stock I would replace it with the 5.5 pound factory version. Call Glock or check Brownell's and make sure you have the correct part numbers for your particular pistol. One of the great things about this pistol is that the OEM parts are relatively inexpensive.

9x45

Nadre, aftermarket connectors and triggers can cause issues, especially the Ghost which has to be fitted, as Sarge said, go back to stock. But check how much firing pin stick out from the breech face you have before swapping.