G10 stamped on crane/yoke of 1981 S&W

Carmady

G10 is stamped on the part of the crane/yoke that swings out with the cylinder.

4XX4X is stamped below that, but the font is smaller and it looks much neater, as if it was done by a machine.

The G10 looks like it may have been stamped by hand.

I searched "G10 crane" and "G10 yoke," but got no hits.

Anyone know what the G10 means?

Carmady

I think the markings on the grip frame are assembly numbers.

The first search was limited to this forum.

Checking the www returned some stuff, two I read from the S&W Forum where one G10 sighting was on a 15-3 from 1968, and another on 29-3.

I guess G10 might mean something to someone, but it doesn't seem to create much excitement otherwise.

jar

It really wouldn't mean much in general since that type of stamping was solely for internal parts and inspector tracking. It could be an inspectors stamp, a station stamp, a machine stamp or any of dozens of other in-house markings. A classic example would be stamp and die markings that are used during inspections to gauge when a part is so worn it need to be replaced or a stamp to show who did a particular task.

Also remember that S&W went through a bunch of reorganizations, different ownership as well as several down-sizing exercises. With each one institutional knowledge was lost. The folk that knew what such markings meant retired and old records got recycled into MacDonald's Happy Meal boxes.

Nick_C_S

Just for fun, I looked at three of my Smith revolvers from 1984 (it was a good year for gun purchases ;)).

686: "A18" and "3x772"
629: "B19" and "48x41"
60: "(nothing)" and "8285x"

Not to mention the "S's" stamped in various places, meaning "stainless."