G.A. Precision rifles "the rock" vs. Nor Cal Nighthawk

CodyPStyles

Okay- I'm kind of new to shooting, but my dad's old Remington just isn't cutting the mustard anymore. Anyway I'm looking to buy a "tactical" rifle. Now before everyone jumps on my case about how I don't need a tactical rifle for recreational shooting, keep this in mind: I just want a really accurate rifle that I can drop a few times without problems, and will basically otherwise last my entire life. I want tough and accurate so I want a tactical rifle. 'Nuff said. I've been looking around and seen a bunch of fine rifles but the two that really caught my eye were the Nor Cal precision Nighthawk and the GA Precision Rock rifle. Does anyone have actual experience with either of these rifles? Which one is the better of the two? I know a lot of this is subjective and I have a feeling these rifles are very similar, but any info would be helpful. Also as a little side question: Does anyone have experience with the McMillan A2 stock? Good/Bad?

Thank you.

Mute

Yes. Both are as good an example of a customized precision rifle as you'll find, especially in their price range. The only reason I'd pick one over another is the small minor differences in how they can personalize the rifle for you.

Regarding the MacMillan stock, I personally like the A4 more than the A2, however, that's highly subjective. Truthfully, I like HS Precision stocks a bit more and would take an AICS stock over all others.

Mike Baugh

This is my new ROCK with a 24" unfluted barrel that George built for me. I really like the A3 stock. Good luck, Mike

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 431

Rob01

I can't speak for the rifles themselves but George's bedding work and customer service is top rate. I had him do some work on my rifle and he was quick and did an excellent job. I have talked to many with his rifles and no one has been unhappy. I wouldn't hesitate getting a rifle from him.

As far as the stocks, I had an A2 and it was a good stock but I would suggest you go with an A3 if you wanted a vertical pistol grip style stock. It has a slimmer forend which I feel is better than the A2 or the A4, which is basicly just an A2 with a button hook, styles. I personally like the HTG stock. Any McMillan stock is quality.

JG

Very nice rifle Mike......I ended up going with G.A. Precision myself, ordered the Rock with the Sub-Minute TMP McMillan A1 stock and H.S. Precision detachable mag setup- don't have it yet though, hopefully soon.

CodyPStyles

Thank you all for your help. It looks like I'll go for the rock. That picture was the deal maker (drool). Anyway just saying thanks for the info.

uglygun

I've been saying it for about a year now, I'm gonna have George Gardner build me a rifle one of these days. I think this year will be the year, might call him up and order one as a birthday present to myself this september.

Thing is, I don't know if I want to do a complete bolt action rifle or if I want to have George do a 260Rem. upper for my AR10. THe thought of either have me drooling at the mouth.