Future of combat rifle technology?

Savage110

I've been thinking recently about what the next step might be as far as the future of combat rifle development. Is there really any possible revolution in this kind of small arms technology, or is the next step just evolution of existing platforms?

For instance, the new HK OICW, while impressive, seems like it's just adding computer controls and a really large price tag to an automatic rifle/grenade launcher combination. Many of the weapons currently in use are just modifications, improvements, and modernizations of older weapons systems.

In my opinion, the closest thing to a revolutionary new system would be something like the HK G11 caseless system. However, that project has been essentially shelved, and I believe that only 1000 or so were fielded by German special forces.

So I'm just curious as to what you all think... where can small arms technology really go from here?

Correia

Until we see something invented that replaces traditional cartridges, there isn't going to be a whole lot of revolution.

I expect to see more continuing refinements of existing ideas. And believe it or not, I expect the Russians to be the ones to come up with the best of them.

The latest and most advanced rifle the west has fielded is the G36, which is basically a AR-18 with funky furniture and dual scope recticles. The Russians have come up with the Nikonov, which appears truly practical and innovative. Can't comment on the FN2000, because I don't know anybody who has ever shot or held one.

I expect to see more refinements to grenade launchers, and grenade/rifle combos.

I think the basic idea of the OICW (rifle w/ multi shot grenade launcher) is good, but it certainly sucks in execution.

And once they come up with powered body armor, so that troops can carry more weight, we will start to see weapons that fire bullets, flechetes, shot, lasers, grenades, death rays, plasma, nerve gas, and swarms of angry hornets. :p

CWL

Caseless ammo still is too volatile to be used in battlefield situations when subjected to shock, extreme elements, corrosives, moisture, etc.

Shin-Tao

No 4.7/5mm

Keeping in mind the advancements in infantry personal armor, I don't think we will be seeing standard arms being chambered for 4.7mm or 5mm cartridges. I believe militaries will head in the oposite direction, possibly moving back to the battle rifle concept, using 7.62NATO based ammunition.

But, hey. That's just me.

buzz_knox

Barring any revolutions in power sources that will give us man portable coil guns, the next major development will be ETC: eletrothermal chemical propulsion. Take a casing loaded with an appropriate chemical, use an intense electrical charge to convert it into plasma, and project a standard round at twice the normal speed, or a heavier round at the original speed.