Future handguns (list)

Chris Phelps

First post... Figured I would make a list of all the handguns I am planning on buying in the near future, and see what I got for feedback.

One of the handguns on this list will be CCW... but only for walking at night. I work in a federal building which rules out the possibility of carrying at work... but I like to walk at night for excersize, and we have a rather large pack of coyotes around my house.

So basically, every one of these will be used for target practice only.

Walther P22
Sig P226
Sig Misquito
Taurus PT111
Taurus PT145
Hi-point C9

Thoughts/Opinions?

payne

I have a Walther p22 and it's lots of fun to plink with. i believe you'll really enjoy that one. i owned a Hi-point C9 before and sold it. It was a good gun though. Don't have any experience with Taurus. And ive seen the Sig mosquito and have be thinkin bout that gun myself. Sig 226 is quality in everyway.:D

OneInTheChamber

i'll second the P22, i've had one for about 4 years. Very fun to shoot, very accurate little guns. Very comfortable ergo's. Shoots really with CCI mini mags.

Pistolenschutze

You'll like that PT-145, Chris, but before you buy it, check out the new PT-745. I just bought one and love it. It's essentially the same gun as the 145 but with smaller grips. Taurus reduced the mag capacity from 10 to 6, made it a single stack instead of a double stack.

Chris Phelps

The PT-745 is indeed a nice gun, but I am afraid it is far from what I look for in a handgun. I like full size grips. I don't really have a need for compact guns, and they just aren't that comfortable for me to shoot.

azredhawk44

but I like to walk at night for excersize, and we have a rather large pack of coyotes around my house.

So basically, every one of these will be used for target practice only.

Don't know about Maine, but in AZ it is illegal to hunt or plink at targets (like coyotes) after sundown.

Good choices, BTW. Not the usual ones, but seem very well thought out.

"Y'all gatta getcherself a 1911..."

"You gotta getcherself a glock 17..."

"Until you're a good shooter you don't have any business getting anything but a Buckmark .22..."

I'm curious what made you look so strongly at Taurus for autos?

Chris Phelps

It's illegal in most states to hunt after dark... but if you are being attacked by animals, I am pretty sure you wont go to jail for popping off a round or two.

I visited about 6 of the local gun shops here, and held quite a few different handguns. The Taurus PT111 and 24/7 were, by far, the most comfortable 9MM handguns I held. I dont care for straight gripped handles like the Baretta because (this will most likely not make sense to anyone) it feels as if my fingers end up mashed together while shooting. I do not like compact guns because shooting with only 3 fingers gripping the handle seems very awkward. I started with a list of handguns that I found to fit my hand, and then spent about a month bouncing around forums, websites, local shops, exc. researching the reliability, issues, recalls, and so on. I have heard horrible things about the earlier PT111s and PT145s, but when it came to new handguns, it seemed that Taurus was turning out quality product at a realitivly low price.

Since my only purpose for firearms has always been target practice, jamming was never high on my priority list. My cousin owns a Glock knockoff which jams usually every other clip, and when dirty, every other round. It has never been a problem to bring along a cleaning kit for these situations. My main concerns were stories of slides falling apart while firing, or the handgun exploding.

The list of handguns that I want basically revolves around what I enjoy shooting. Of all of the guns I have shot over the years, .22 cal has always been one of my favorites. The ammo is cheap, the shots are inharently quieter, and the guns themselves have always seemed to be cheaper as well. The 9MM's were next up the list. The ammo is realitivly cheap, the guns are extremely fun to shoot, and the weapons can be had for about $500, give or take. The .45 cal was my newest addition, I have never owned or even shot one. Since they are just slightly more than the 9MM handguns, I figured I would add one to my collection.

The Hi-Point was the strangest on my list... without the 10 round clip, the gun feels very uncomfortable, and it doesn't fire quite like any other 9MM I have shot. That particular handgun was chosen mainly as a "one more never hurt" 9MM for the days we end up with a large crew in the gravel pit. They can be had for as little as $95, and I am told the quality on the newer models is outstanding.

"Y'all gatta getcherself a 1911..."

"You gotta getcherself a glock 17..."

"Until you're a good shooter you don't have any business getting anything but a Buckmark .22..."

I have actually heard these ones already. I am a member of Sportbike World, and quite a few of my fellow riders also share my love for shooting. The 1911 was, of course, the first suggestion. Closely behind is was the HK P7M8. (I am a left handed shooter). I had a friend that owned a Glock a year back. I never really cared for the feel of them... I am not sure why.

Last but not least... Good is all in the eye of the beholder. I grew up around guns, as I am imagining most of you did. Besides, I love .22's. That's where there are two on my list. :D

OK, that was an incredibly long post. If anyone has a handgun to add to the list (that is not a compact), Please... by all means, share your thoughts!

azredhawk44

Okay, so you have 3 9mm pistols on the list, a sig, a taurus and a hi-point. The sig represents (most likely) unfailing quality. The hipoint represents the clunker that will probably always work and is like a moped.... Everyone wants to try one, but no one wants to be seen doing it!:p I also want to get a C9 at some point, but we have 2 XD9's in our house that we like an awful lot and I can't justify it right now.

The taurus 9mm confuses me...And that's okay, it's your money and not mine. I notice that there are no wheelguns on the list at all. But, wheelies are fun, by golly!

If you are recoil sensitive, have you thought about a wheelie .38? Although the .357mag isn't any "worse" to shoot than a .45acp in most cases from similar sized/weighted full size guns.

Spanish

wheelie for me

my next purshase is going to be a revolver (maybe two):cool:

S&W 329pd
and/or S&W 327

always wanted a gp100 too......

porkskin

if you aren't huge into guns get a s&w 66, and airweight, and a .22 revolver.
or get a target 9mm, and compact 9mm, and a .22. you could really shorten your list and have a functional collection that is interchangeable (revolver,glock,sig) in operation.

Chris Phelps

I have never liked revolvers... They just arent as enjoyable for me, personally. Compacts don't feel right to shoot... my pinkie hangs off the grip, and I dont like that at all.

I am into handguns... and rifles. I have no 'practical' use for them. I go out shooting pretty much every other day, though. I usually go through a 500 round box of .22 shells every week. I'm not really much for shortening the list of handguns... if anything, I am looking to lengthen it.

I have definitly changed the PT111 decision to a PT24/7. The 17 round clips appeal to me very much.

One thing I want that I have yet to decide on is a .40 cal. I might actually hold off on buying a .45 and get a .40 instead. After my 6-7 Handguns have been purchased over the next 6 months... I am going after a Panther Arms RFA2-308B. But, at $1,149 MSRP, that will probably be a while.

Pistolenschutze

Chris Phelps said:
The PT-745 is indeed a nice gun, but I am afraid it is far from what I look for in a handgun. I like full size grips. I don't really have a need for compact guns, and they just aren't that comfortable for me to shoot.

You are quite correct to point that out, Chris. A lot obviously depends on how the weapon feels in the shooter's hand. I like the 745 largely because it has smaller grips, but then, my hands are on the small side. For me, it works beautifully, whereas the Glock 30, for example, feels slightly too large in my hand.

walt65

My experience

I've owned, sold and traded a ton of handguns. These are my conclusions:

- A carry gun should be safe, small, flat, and be able to fit in a pocket without printing (being easily seen), especially for summer carry. ( a .22 long rifle on up could kill a cyote).

- carry guns should be 9mm and up, yet a 22mag in the pocket is worth more than a .45 cal in your car. For this reason, don't ignore .380's or .32 mags.

- wheel guns are safe and dependable for carry. Smith and Wesson J frames are the cadilac of wheel guns. Stay clear of the .357 mags! They are brutal to shoot, and the should only be in the hands of an expert....like a LEO.

-Stay away from Tauras, even though they are getting better. They are not a top level gun, and you want the best piece of equipment you can buy.

- Everyone should own one 1911.

-For the money, Kimber custom shop guns are superior. You get more for the money with a Kimber than other brands. Also, they are American made.

-Colts are also superior 1911's, but you pay dearly for the extras.

-HK makes superior handguns. For range play the Tactical, Expert, Elite, and Mark 23 have 5 to 6 inch barrels and are virtual tack drivers. They are expensive (between $1100.00 and $2400.00):barf:

-It is better to save money, wait, and buy a "better" gun, no matter what the purpose and caliber. You'll never regret it.

-Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, so go to a range that has guns to try and pick the one that feels best to you and ignore what old farts like me tell you.:)

If you are interested where this old Marine ends up with as far as gun ownership goes, I'll tell you. I don't range shoot other than practice...no leagues or reloading. I simply want home protection and a carry gun. I have a Colt Python loaded with .357 magnimum rounds in a dresser drawer for home protection, and I carry a HK P7M8 or Kimber Ultra CDPII. I'm presently saving for a S &W 442 for pocket carry, especially in the summer. I might even get laser grips for the 442, but that may be a useless waste of money.

I've got to say, however, I've been reading about the Kal Tec .32 and .380 and they have my interest for summer carry and back up.

Good luck in your gun selection.

azredhawk44

Well, Chris -

Give us a range report on your Taurii when you get them. That's too bad you feel that way about wheelguns...

We have 3 different striker-fired guns in the house. I don't think we will get any more. We both prefer a hammer, for asthetics, wearing contour, peace of mind and perceived reliability. Our next auto purchases will probably all be browning hi-power derivatives (FN/Browning/CZ).

On the thoughts about the .40 - It's not worth it IMO. You've got the 9mm covered. .45acp is such as classic, easy to shoot and revered cartridge, you will want one the week after you get the .40.

If you get a doublestack .45acp auto, be forewarned: They are heavy to carry. Don't get a cheap nylon holster with an attached spare mag holder. That's just way too much weight on one side to carry. It'll rub you wrong all the time and you will carry something else. I never carry my G21 because of this. I need to get a better holster for it that doesn't accomodate any spare mags on the gun-side.

Also, 13 rounds of 230gr bullets is heavy. As much as I hate the Klintons, I do sometimes still use the 10rd mags that first came with my Glock. If you reload, you might want to try out some of the 200gr bullets or 180 gr bullets available out there.

Anyways, enjoy your choices and let us know how they work out!

bp78

Sig Mosquito (once the work the bugs out)
Some flavor of $700 1911
A second hand .357 revolver i won't mind abusing.

yorec

My first impression was that the Hi-Point is out of place in the company of those other guns... Now with the exchange of the PT 111 for the 24/7 I end up wondering why it's even in the list?

Nice selction as far as I'm concerned! :cool:

Chris Phelps

It is in the list because when my friends and I go to the pits to shoot, we bring a 10 foot folding table with us, and each of us usually shows up with 6-10 assorted firearms. The table is loaded down in no time, and we usually have at least 1 of the car roofs covered with a blanket and weighted down with a number of firearms, and there still is not enough room. Needless to say, when we go shooting like this, everyone just grabs what they like. A Hi-point for $95 bucks seems like a good decision, since everyone seems to prefer shooting 9MM and .40 cal handguns. It makes it easier to hang onto my 24/7, or my P226. Its a 'fill-in' type handgun.

Chris Phelps

OK... I think I need help making a decision. Which handgun should I lead off the buying spree with? It will either be the Walther P22 or the Taurus PT24/7 9MM. Which ever one I choose will also be the one I use when I go through my CCW Course. (Either one will work out fine, our CCW is designed for people who have never shot before, and I am an experienced shooter.) Normally, the P22 would be my first choice due to its $100 cheaper price, cheaper ammo, lighter CCW, exc. However, I had 5 sites bookmarked that were selling the PT24/7 for less than $350, and now not one of them still has this piece in stock. There are a few people selling new ones on Gun Broker for under $330, but they seem to be dissapearing as well. Should I buy the PT24/7 first, then the P22... or stick to the origional plan and hope the 24/7 will still be available when I am ready for my second purchase?