Funny stories and CCW advice

moredes

Dunno quite where to put this, so I'll post here. Too much coffee this morning and free-form thoughts...

1) It's amazing how people "don't see" even if you are hiding "in plain sight".
2) When carrying, it is important to carry yourself well. You need to act as though you belong and be confident.

Abslootly right on the mark. I quoted two different posts, but the observations are dead on. I was never LEO, but I used to ride-along once a month for almost 2 years with the local PD. I won't name it for obvious reasons, but it's a big department in a high crime area that everyone would recognize; the city has a terrible, national reputation for violence. Before every session, I had to sign a waiver, administrated by one of the sargeants. In those days, I was packed (w/o a CCW) in the police station every time I rode along; I'd sit through the squad briefing and sign the waiver afterwards. I dunno if sitting in the squad briefing with an illegal CCW is the funny part or not. Read on....

No one ever caught on until I was party to a felony stop. My driver came out of the car pulling his hogleg and telling me--"the shotgun's freed, grab it up." I couldn't break it loose (couldn't work the release lever in the dark :rolleyes: ), so I pulled my 1911, and covered the car from the other side. Backup arrived and I put the weapon away and let them handle it. Nothing serious happened, and the guys were carried off without resistance.

Later, when we got back in the car to drive off, my LEO driver asked me, "where did that 45 come from??" I told him I always carried it when I rode with them; I ain't riding in a marked police car in this city nekkid....is you crazy? I'll never forget his reply--"well, expletive :rolleyes: , you couldn't pick something smaller? Maybe give your perp a chance to survive it." He had some other questions for me too, and convinced me to leave it at home. From then on, whenever I got to the squad car, he always gave me his backup piece before we started off. At least it was a 'legal carry'.

And just to top off funny stories...remember that I'm not LEO. I was always in plain clothes when I rode along. And all cars had a BIG "city POLICE" badge on their black and whites. Anyway, we're moving at about 50mph through downtown around 1130 at night, responding to a "burglary in progress". Lights only, no siren. Some ironhead jaywalks in front of us at the stoplight, (we're green). The LEO slams on the brakes and skids to a stop. It was close; you can smell the rubber in the air, and we were short of a traffic accident by about 2 feet. Ironhead gets cranky and hollers, "you see I'm walkin' here, right, you dumb expletive??" I lean out the window and flip him off, "You dumb expletive, don't walk off...come back and getcher expletive beat. Who you callin' expletive, you expletive expletive expletive??"

Something blasts me in the left ear-- "HEY, HEY, HEY, you're ridin' in a police car!!" Oops. Sorry boss, didn't mean to tarnish your reputation... :p :D Maybe I went a little to far in fulfilling rule #2. :D

chadwimc

I can top *ANY* ccw story. The *ONLY* time I ever lost control of a firearm was...in church. I stood up to help recieve the offering. There, in front of God and everybody else, falls my S&W Airweight. It made a *LOT* of noise. What could I do? I reached down, picked it up and stuck it in my pants pocket. The old guy helping me with the offering couldn't stop giggling. When he got to the back where my hunting buddy and his wife were sitting, my friend whispers "What just happened"? The old guy just giggles and says "M**** just dropped his pistol". My pastor will never live that down. Your deacon dropped a what in church??? :)