Fund Raising Ideas for Legal Defense, RKBA Lobbying, etc.

Bulldog

Everyone knows that we RKBA advocates are in the minority - that is, in the eyes of the media and the general public - especially when it comes to organizations with limited finances.

Just look at the Million Mom March vs. the Second Amendment Sisters: The MMM folks have national backing along with support from Hollywood personalities and big-money donations. The SAS, on the other hand, remains a small, relatively unknown grass-roots organization who is scrounging for funds for a one-time march - disregard the fact that they have 22,000 electronic signatures on their Internet petition.

Well, a co-worker/fellow TFL member and I were discussing the possibilities of raising funds that would go towards the firearms manufacturers' legal defense as well as to help out the various RKBA organizations out there.

It appears that, for whatever reason, many people are reluctant to donate $50, $100, or $150 to help these people out. So, what comes to my mind are those little jugs you see on the counters of the local 7-11.

What if we could get a nation-wide fundraising campaign going where volunteers set out gallon jugs next to the cash registers at gun stores and ranges? These jugs could have flyers (or whatever) on them describing exactly where the spare change would be going.

I, for one, am one of those guys that doesn't always like toting around a lot of change in my pockets, and I would often just throw it in the little "Jerry's Kids" jugs I see so often. I stopped doing this after a while and began dropping the change into a jug at home - It's amazing to see how fast that change adds up.

If we could set these jugs, cans, bottles, or whatever at the counters of willing business owners, collect the change every week or so, and send it off to whichever organization, I'd feel that we would be doing a great service.

What do y'all think?

------------------
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited March 26, 2000).]

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I love the idea.....
However...apparently in our society, in order have such a fund, ya gotta get lawyers to make it legal, accountants to file the right forms, etc....or else the law and IRS considers you a scam. We tried it here once on TFL and it got seriously complicated, even when there was professional voluntary help.

My suggestion, is to stash some dinero away and send it to whomever when you see a need.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My suggestion, is to stash some dinero away and send it to whomever when you see a need.[/quote]

That's fine and dandy, but my point is that there really aren't a whole lot of folks who are willing to do this...

Damn government... If they don't get ya with one agency, they get ya with the other. :(

Bob Locke

If Bubba can have a "legal defense fund", to which everyday citizens can contribute, then why not the firearms industry?

I am more than willing to help out in THAT endeavor.

Sword

How's about all the shooters saving their brass for a week, selling it to the scrap dealers, and donating the proceeds to the cause?

Or, doing the same with the brass from shooting matches?

Another idea: Set up a deal with the major dealers to donate a buck with each purchase of a weapon or weapon related item. Your choice, indicate it on the sales receipt. You know, like the tax form, a donation to the presidential campaign fund. Only this would be for a legal defense fund. Sure, it may be hard to set up, but how long can we wait? Until they're knocking at our doors?

Sword

------------------
When guns are outlawed, I will be an outlaw.